Sign in to follow this  
Crazy Legs

It is not true Brandon Beane didn't focus on the OFFENSE last year in draft & Free Agency

There is an inaccurate narrative that Brandon Beane didn't prioritize OFFENSE  last off season.

a)  The majority of the free agents Beane signed were offensive players. RB T.J. Yeldon, OL LaAdrian Waddle, WR Cole Beasley, WR John Brown, RB Frank Gore, TE Tyler Kroft,  C Mitch Morse ,  T Ty Nsekhe, WR Andre Roberts, TE Jake Fisher,  G Quinton Spain, TE Lee Smith, C/G Spencer Long and WR Duke Williams.  That is a LOT of offensive players.

b)  Draft.  3 of the first 4 picks were offense.  Pick 2 (Cody Ford),  Pick 3 (Devin Singletary) and Pick 4 (Dawson Knox) were all offensive players.

Draft a Running Back in the 2nd?  Add another EDGE or Corner?

Too little too late imo. 

most of the FA were bargain bin dudes. Role players. But what do expect? 
draft wise...eh I dunno. Ed Oliver was a luxury pick and Cody Ford is a mess. Bills passed over ALOT of dudes that went on to light the league up. Dawson Knox is a project. Devin Singletary was the only pick last year I was pumped about. And he proved me right. 

Beane....lets be honest here....McDermott should have been leaning a little more offensively 3 years ago. Hence the too late part of my statement. Still haven’t drafted a legitimate WR, and IF they do this spring we will have to wait 2-3 years to see dividends. By then the defense is old and Josh Allen not be the guy. The 2018 draft still kills me. 8 picks. 4 on offense....but when 3 of the four were rounds 5-7 and no longer on the team you done fucked up. 

miserable that 70s show GIF

17 minutes ago, seandelevan said:

Too little too late imo. 

draft wise...eh I dunno. Ed Oliver was a luxury pick and Cody Ford is a mess. Bills passed over ALOT of dudes that went on to light the league up. Dawson Knox is a project. Devin Singletary was the only pick last year I was pumped about. And he proved me right. 

Beane....lets be honest here....McDermott should have been leaning a little more offensively 3 years ago. Hence the too late part of my statement. Still haven’t drafted a legitimate WR, and IF they do this spring we will have to wait 2-3 years to see dividends. By then the defense is old and Josh Allen not be the guy. The 2018 draft still kills me. 8 picks. 4 on offense....but when 3 of the four were rounds 5-7 and no longer on the team you done fucked up. 

If Beane didn't draft Ed Oliver, and Buffalo doesn't want to pay Jordan Phillips top 3 DT money this offseason, than who play's 3 technique DT in 2020?

Kyle Williams retired and Buffalo had to fill the hole at 3 technique DT. If you look past the sack numbers for Jordan Phillips, he didn't consistently give great effort and was not a good run defender.

The 2020 draft is one of the best WR draft classes in years. Beane will be able to draft a great WR in the 1st or 2nd round.

L*t is a loser

My adapt a Bill is Brandon Beane.

1065198188.jpg.0.jpg

12 hours ago, seandelevan said:

Too little too late imo. 

You're right overall that they should have started earlier.  I disagree that Oliver was a luxury...I think you have to have a good interior pass rusher and he has been ranked as a top 5 pick since he entered college so I like that selection.

I bolded where you said most were "bargain bin" because while they didn't overpay, if you look back at the available WRs and TEs there wasn't anyone good.  I'd argue that Brown and Beasley were the best or two of the best WR signings of the year by far. Golden Tate, Adam Humphries, Crabtree, Perriman, Cobb...it wasn't a great list.  For TE there was Cook but he signed with the Saints b/c of he's old and wanted to play with Brees.  I don't see any TEs they whiffed on either.  I guess my point is that I'm happy they didn't venture out of the bargain bin b/c they would have grossly overpaid.

I'm all in on spending for a healthy AJ Green this year though.  He's the type of guy I'd take a risk on.  A fantastic player who can make a game changing play.  Give him a 2 year deal that won't affect resigning Edmonds or White or Oliver.  I'd be okay if they swung and missed on Green b/c I'd appreciate the effort and understand the logic.  

Green, Brown, Beasley, and a 2nd round pick as your top 4 would be good.

• Thanks 1

I agree on the premise they paid attention to the the offense, but lets not mistake effort for success. 

The talent level on the whole increased, this is good.  The WR core went from awful to mediocre, the TE group was stagnant at best, the line was brought up to nearly acceptable.

The issue is with Ford not being ready to play (if he ever will be is a real question), signing a handful of lockroom guys that can't produce anymore ir really never have and trolling th waiver wire for players that happen to be better than the steaming pile if shit you already have. 

What they a complished with the tslent they brought in was relatively impressive, but you have to pump the brakes and realize the Dolphins won 5 games vs essentially the same schedule and they STRIPPED their roster to try to tank. So the win total is deceiving at best.  This was a year where the Bills, if they were real contenders, shoulf have won the division.  They still didn't and largely because, the O was still bad.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, LiterateStylish said:

Scrap heap players don’t count.

When it comes to WR and TE, that's all that was available last year in free agency.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, DC2007 said:

I agree on the premise they paid attention to the the offense, but lets not mistake effort for success. 

The talent level on the whole increased, this is good.  The WR core went from awful to mediocre, the TE group was stagnant at best, the line was brought up to nearly acceptable.

The issue is with Ford not being ready to play (if he ever will be is a real question), signing a handful of lockroom guys that can't produce anymore ir really never have and trolling th waiver wire for players that happen to be better than the steaming pile if shit you already have. 

What they a complished with the tslent they brought in was relatively impressive, but you have to pump the brakes and realize the Dolphins won 5 games vs essentially the same schedule and they STRIPPED their roster to try to tank. So the win total is deceiving at best.  This was a year where the Bills, if they were real contenders, shoulf have won the division.  They still didn't and largely because, the O was still bad.

They worked with the Legos they had.    We were starting at a very low level (especially with the Offensive Line).

So, this year I expect him to move up another rung with the talent by using Free Agency and the Draft to acquire more talent.   This will push some of the 2019 acquisitions off the roster.

It is a process.  One rung at a time.

Draft a Running Back in the 2nd?  Add another EDGE or Corner?