Sign in to follow this  
SackMan518

‘Star Wars: Rise Of Skywalker’ Is The First $500 Million Disappointment

R.I.P. Soy Wars

‘Star Wars: Rise Of Skywalker’ Is The First $500 Million Disappointment

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker played like a conventional frontloaded blockbuster movie, as opposed to a Christmas biggie or even a recent Disney biggie in terms of legs and post-release reception.

With $5.36 million (-36%) in its sixth weekend of domestic release, Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker has now passed the $500 million mark. Even in an ever-expanding global marketplace where The Rise of Skywalker became the 46th movie to pass $1 billion worldwide, there have been only 15 movies to pass $500 million in North America. And, yes, Star Wars IX is certainly the first movie to pass this benchmark and yet remain on the defensive in terms of expectations and receptions. It is currently the 15th-biggest domestic earner of all time, just below Beauty and the Beast ($504 million in 2017). In terms of inflation/tickets sold, it currently sits alongside Finding Dory ($486 million in 2016/$501 million adjusted) and Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone ($317 million in 2001/$501 million adjusted).

With a 2.82x weekend-to-cume multiplier (it debuted in mid-December with $177.363 million), The Rise of Skywalker is now leggier than The Last Jedi. Nonetheless, its post-debut legs fell well below the “normal for a big Christmas movie” likes of I Am Legend (3.2 x $77 million in 2007), Rogue One (3.4 x $155 million in 2016), The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (3.53 x $73 million in 2013), The Force Awakens (3.77 x $248 million in 2015) and Tron: Legacy (3.9 x $44 million in 2010). It also had the advantage, like Force Awakens, of having its opening weekend directly bleed into the two-week “everyone is out of school and off work” holiday break period. Although, to be fair, Force Awakens (like Avatar) had Christmas and New Year’s occurring on a Friday as opposed to a Wednesday.

The film was firing on all cylinders for the first week, with a terrific $29 million first-Monday gross and a $32 million Christmas day haul. It didn’t really start to slow down until its second weekend, when it dropped 71% on Friday and 59% for the weekend despite being in full holiday break mode. Absent the first week (and, to a lesser extent, the second week) of holiday play, it would have possibly earned something closer to Captain America: Civil War ($408 million domestic from a $179 million debut in May of 2016). What’s disconcerting, aside from the whole “mediocre reviews and online handwringing over what could have been/should have been” variable, is that the film didn’t play like recent Disney releases. It didn’t stick around like Toy Story 4, Frozen II and even Christopher Robin.

soy-wars-770x480.jpg

We all overreacted when Toy Story 4 opened with “just” $120 million, only to watch the well-liked and well-reviewed animated sequel leg out to $430 million domestic. Ditto Frozen II’s “fine, I guess” $41 million opening day which turned into a $130 million domestic debut and legged out to $470 million (and counting), making it the fifth-leggiest $100 million-plus opener behind Toy Story 3 ($415 million from a $110 million debut in 2010), Star Wars: The Force Awakens ($936 million/$248 million in 2015), Wonder Woman ($412.5 million/$103.5 million in 2017) and Shrek 2 ($441 million/$108 million Fri-Sun and $128 million Wed-Sun in 2004). Christopher Robin legged out to $99 million from a $25 million launch in August of 2018 despite mixed reviews. So when Rise of Skywalker opened with “only” $177 million, there was little reason for alarm.

After all, the opening weekend was leading straight into the Christmas season, and even “for fans only” fantasy franchise flicks like The Hobbit pulled over/under 3.5x multipliers over the holiday break period. And with Wonder Woman 1984 and No Time to Die moving out of November 2019, Death on the Nile moving out of December of 2019 and Cats, Terminator: Dark Fate, Black Christmas and Spies in Disguise stumbling out of the gate, The Rise of Skywalker and Jumanji: The Next Level were essentially the only game in town for year-end four-quadrant biggies. So, yes, at least in terms of “Where does Star Wars go from here,” it does matter than the film more or less collapsed after Christmas and ended up earning less in North America than Rogue One: A Star Wars Story.

That’s not quite “Man of Steel earns more than Justice League,” but it’s in the same ballpark. To be fair, some of this could just be the calendar. The Last Jedi struggled after its opening weekend, partially because the holiday break didn’t begin until its second Monday, only to rally during that two-week end-of-year period. Conversely, The Rise of Skywalker rallied in those first seven days but then peaked exceptionally early to end up with a slightly higher overall multiplier. And, sure, The Rise of Skywalker existing as the fifth Star Wars movie in five years may have made it less special, even with the whole “end of the Skywalker Saga” hook. Although the fact that (comparatively) so few people showed for Solo means that, to them, Rise of Skywalker was the first Star Wars flick in two years.  

Subjective qualms with the story choices aside, Rise of Skywalker suffered due to a lack of polish and narrative coherency (likely due to the rushed production and rewrites/reshoots related to that rush and due to the death of Carrie Fisher) and a lack of “gotta see it again” moments akin to the Throne Room fight in Last Jedi or the first Rey/Kylo smackdown in The Force Awakens. Unlike Force Awakens, Rogue One and Solo, it really looks like it went through production hell. Nonetheless, the first slate of Disney’s Star Wars movies still earned $5.9 billion worldwide and $2.8 billion in North America alone on a combined $1.25 billion budget. The end result for Rise of Skywalker is indeed a disappointment. But, as a whole, Disney and Lucasfilm’s Star Wars relaunch has been a commercial success.   

Sack "The Buffalo Range's TRUSTED News Source!"

"But, man, you're never going to get any truth from us. We'll tell you anything you want to hear; we lie like hell... We'll tell you any shit you want to hear. We deal in *illusions*, man! None of it is true! But you people sit there, day after day, night after night, all ages, colors, creeds... We're all you know. You're beginning to believe the illusions we're spinning here."

- Howard Beale, Network

I liked it, finally felt like a Star Wars movie once again. 

by the way they have plans for 2 more trilogies and 3 more shows including Mandalorian season 2. Star Wars isn’t going anywhere

• Trump 1

Racism is evil, and those who cause violence in its name are criminals and thugs, including the KKK, neo-Nazis, white supremacists, and other hate groups that are repugnant to everything we hold dear as Americans.

i need to watch the mandalorian.  I love the Star Wars IP.  There's so much they can do with it outside of relying on the skywalker saga.

I look forward to seeing what they'll do with the Knights of the Old Republic story.  Revan and everything can be a very captivating trilogy

Any Star Wars movie after 1983 sucked major sweaty balls. That is all.

p.s. Toy Story 4 sucked too, don’t know how it made that much money.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, jc856 said:

Any Star Wars movie after 1983 sucked major sweaty balls. That is all.

p.s. Toy Story 4 sucked too, don’t know how it made that much money.

my man lol GIF by Steve Harvey TV

process.jpg

Fuck this team

I'll tie a frying pan to my ass so you hurt your penis, you ****ing homo!

Shut the fuck up dark cloud pussy

Anyone who is foolish enough to not be a Buffalo Bills fan can go f*ck themselves with a wooden shovel handle.

image-trump-emoticon.png

also, all that shit in your signature is beyond annoying. just like you.

Hope they do a Mace Windu story line.  Heard rumors that Samuel Jackson gave Lucas the business that Mace did not die from Palpetine.  Would love to see Mace being a thorn in the Empires side but keeping his distance so as not to interfere with the prophicy

3 hours ago, Zan186 said:

Hope they do a Mace Windu story line.  Heard rumors that Samuel Jackson gave Lucas the business that Mace did not die from Palpetine.  Would love to see Mace being a thorn in the Empires side but keeping his distance so as not to interfere with the prophicy

The next 2 trilogies are supposed to be new stories completely. The 2 new shows they are doing are Obi Won spin-off and a story about the lead character from Rogue one, and his droid.

Racism is evil, and those who cause violence in its name are criminals and thugs, including the KKK, neo-Nazis, white supremacists, and other hate groups that are repugnant to everything we hold dear as Americans.

17 hours ago, Angry Byrds said:

I liked it, finally felt like a Star Wars movie once again. 

by the way they have plans for 2 more trilogies and 3 more shows including Mandalorian season 2. Star Wars isn’t going anywhere

I don't know where you're hearing that but all movies are on hold and even the Obi-Wan series has taken a hiatus to fix "script problems." The only thing on deck for now is season 2 of Mandolorian and supposedly a Cassian Andor show no one asked for.

My opinion is that the new movie was not good. It made Vader's sacrifice at the end of RotJ pointless and now all of the Skywalkers are dead leaving a Palpatine imposter in their place essentially meaning the Emperor wins.

"But, man, you're never going to get any truth from us. We'll tell you anything you want to hear; we lie like hell... We'll tell you any shit you want to hear. We deal in *illusions*, man! None of it is true! But you people sit there, day after day, night after night, all ages, colors, creeds... We're all you know. You're beginning to believe the illusions we're spinning here."

- Howard Beale, Network

26 minutes ago, SackMan518 said:

I don't know where you're hearing that but all movies are on hold and even the Obi-Wan series has taken a hiatus to fix "script problems." The only thing on deck for now is season 2 of Mandolorian and supposedly a Cassian Andor show no one asked for.

My opinion is that the new movie was not good. It made Vader's sacrifice at the end of RotJ pointless and now all of the Skywalkers are dead leaving a Palpatine imposter in their place essentially meaning the Emperor wins.

I feel like you missed the point. She was the “chosen one” she was the force and the Jedi’s all lived within her, just like the emperor said all the Sith Lords lived within him. He wasn’t prepared for the power of every Jedi who ever lived. I don’t think it was pointless Luke sacrificed himself knowing she was the future. There was no more dark side she finished it. Like Jesus

use google next movie is do in 2022, and the direction will be decided in the next couple weeks

The next Star Wars film is expected to arrive in 2022, and that's essentially all that's known about it. Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige has an idea for a “Star Wars movie, but it's in the early stages, according to Kennedy.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/business/story/2019-12-15/kathleen-kennedy-lucasfilm-the-last-jedi-the-mandalorian

You’re better with politics 

5 minutes ago, Thebowflexbody said:

I'm a Star Trek guy.  Never really got into Star Wars.  Nothing against it, though.

I like the reboot of the series. The cast (Chris Pine, Zachary Quinta, Simon Pegg, Karl Urban, etc) are likable. But a couple of them, the plots were dumb. But yeah,  the old Wrath of Khan was probably my favorite.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, jc856 said:

I like the reboot of the series. The cast (Chris Pine, Zachary Quinta, Simon Pegg, Karl Urban, etc) are likable. But a couple of them, the plots were dumb. But yeah,  the old Wrath of Khan was probably my favorite.

Me too!! There is room for both, I never understood the we can’t watch both thing lol

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Angry Byrds said:

I feel like you missed the point. She was the “chosen one” she was the force and the Jedi’s all lived within her, just like the emperor said all the Sith Lords lived within him. He wasn’t prepared for the power of every Jedi who ever lived. I don’t think it was pointless Luke sacrificed himself knowing she was the future. There was no more dark side she finished it. Like Jesus

use google next movie is do in 2022, and the direction will be decided in the next couple weeks

No, I just think the new storyline is incredibly gay. There are characters who were wasted (Finn, Phasma), characters with no point (Tico, Holdo), and characters that are just MacGuffins (Maz, Zorri). The Emperor should have never been brought back and it shows how badly Rian Johnson sabotaged the series by killing off Snoke who we never learned anything about except that he was some vat hatched clone by the Emperor. Plus it was a travesty what they did with the original characters Luke (grumpy old man), Han (deadbeat dad who loses his ship), Leia (somehow leading a resistance that won 30 years ago), and R2D2/C3PO (just background decoration). And Rey? Well she's just the bestest Jedi ever who everyone loves, gets the Falcons, and learns all Force powers like Neo downloading Kung Fu in the Matrix while being the spawn of Sheev Palpatine's love juice.

Consider me unsold and story wise these are worse than the prequels. If there were any starting point for this trilogy it should have been with a fragile new Alliance that rules the majority of systems but still deals with strong remnants of the Empire, their loyalists, and rogue planets that want nothing to do with either. Instead we got a soft reboot of the first Star Wars movie from 19-fucking-77. (I was 3 when it came out and grew up with them my entire life.) 

I know you feel differently and that's cool because we all have our own tastes but I'm not the only one who feels this way as evident by diminishing returns at the box office (RoS is only going to match Rogue One) and abysmal toy sales. So don't take it as flaming you personally, I am just pissed off that Disney took a license to print money and a movie that is always an event at the theater and killed it in 5 years. I really feel like the latest movie left at least $500M at the box office due to the quality especially when contrasted against Endgame which made over $3B and wasn't the most satisfying end to the MCU saga. The hype is still there for Marvel but the hype for SW has taken a dive and I feel like that's a travesty of misguided corporate interference.

• Thanks 1

- Howard Beale, Network

3 minutes ago, SackMan518 said:

No, I just think the new storyline is incredibly gay. There are characters who were wasted (Finn, Phasma), characters with no point (Tico, Holdo), and characters that are just MacGuffins (Maz, Zorri). The Emperor should have never been brought back and it shows how badly Rian Johnson sabotaged the series by killing off Snoke who we never learned anything about except that he was some vat hatched clone by the Emperor. Plus it was a travesty what they did with the original characters Luke (grumpy old man), Han (deadbeat dad who loses his ship), Leia (somehow leading a resistance that won 30 years ago), and R2D2/C3PO (just background decoration). And Rey? Well she's just the bestest Jedi ever who everyone loves, gets the Falcons, and learns all Force powers like Neo downloading Kung Fu in the Matrix while being the spawn of Sheev Palpatine's love juice.

Consider me unsold and story wise these are worse than the prequels. If there were any starting point for this trilogy it should have been with a fragile new Alliance that rules the majority of systems but still deals with strong remnants of the Empire, their loyalists, and rogue planets that want nothing to do with either. Instead we got a soft reboot of the first Star Wars movie from 19-fucking-77. (I was 3 when it came out and grew up with them my entire life.) 

I know you feel differently and that's cool because we all have our own tastes but I'm not the only one who feels this way as evident by diminishing returns at the box office (RoS is only going to match Rogue One) and abysmal toy sales. So don't take it as flaming you personally, I am just pissed off that Disney took a license to print money and a movie that is always an event at the theater and killed it in 5 years. I really feel like the latest movie left at least $500M at the box office due to the quality especially when contrasted against Endgame which made over $3B and wasn't the most satisfying end to the MCU saga. The hype is still there for Marvel but the hype for SW has taken a dive and I feel like that's a travesty of misguided corporate interference.

Star Wars is no End Game, that’s for certain 

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2020 at 12:00 PM, Thebowflexbody said:

I'm a Star Trek guy.  Never really got into Star Wars.  Nothing against it, though.

both of these franchises are so different it is sometimes hard to compare. But that wont stop me....lol.

Any similarities between the two take a big hit as you realize how different they feel when watching. Star Wars has a big budget big screen vibe and extensive complicated storyline/plot and much deeper character development vs Star Trek which has that under funded low tech TV vibe with very simple plot lines and less character definition that pays homage to its beginnings on TV.

Both great in their own right and I really enjoy the Star Trek movies taken to the big screen but Star Wars will always be the holy grail of Theatre release science fiction franchises. IMHO.

• Thanks 1

cba fan

: Finally saw the new/last star wars. Yeah, not as good as could be, but a big budget picture none the less. The kissing scene was odd, Kylo-Rey.

On 1/28/2020 at 11:00 AM, Thebowflexbody said:

I don't remember the thread being this off topic(I mean after your original mention, which was very fair) and am wondering is Sack made another anti-star wars thread besides this, which I told TWD I would have appreciated his take on.  I thought Daryl posted in the SW thread I saw before and it was longer?

TWD seems a lot less drawn into the ancillary stuff that some are, for what it's worth, which is kind of surprising.

Anyhow to you, BFB, have you seen the new PICARD series yet?  Ive only seen episode 1 and haven't much of an opinion yet.  Next Generation was the last series that Gene Roddenberry was a part of, and I didn't follow any of the others after it, though I did see the movies.  However, being Picard was such a legendary figure, I thought this new series might be decent(which is relative, for the stuff that comes out these days).

StraightJ: The Range's most relevant news source 

"I don't think I'm easy to talk about. I've got a very irregular head. And I'm not anything that you think I am anyway".

-Syd Barrett, founder of Pink Floyd. Rolling Stone, December 1971

https://oathkeepers.org/about/

Europa: The last Battle is the new best documentary in existence: https://search.bitchute.com/renderer?use=bitchute-json&name=Search&login=bcadmin&key=7ea2d72b62aa4f762cc5a348ef6642b8&query=Europa+The+Last+Battle

https://nativeamericanchurches.org/

My adopt a Bill is LeSean McCoy

18 hours ago, Laughing Coffin said:

Mandolorian series is good.  I recommend it to any fan of the Star Wars IP

Mando is great, not perfect, but very good. Too bad the movies couldn't match the quality.

- Howard Beale, Network

12 hours ago, SackMan518 said:

Mando is great, not perfect, but very good. Too bad the movies couldn't match the quality.

One thing that got me was that most espisodes were 30-40 minutes, and the season was 8 episodes.  Otherwise pretty good.  I like the still shot artwork of the scenes at the end, letting you reflect during the credits if you like.  I wonder how long fans will have to wait to get their next 8 episodes?  :)   

It's kind of cool having a characted named Mando then be joined by Lando.  

StraightJ: The Range's most relevant news source 

"I don't think I'm easy to talk about. I've got a very irregular head. And I'm not anything that you think I am anyway".

-Syd Barrett, founder of Pink Floyd. Rolling Stone, December 1971

https://oathkeepers.org/about/

Europa: The last Battle is the new best documentary in existence: https://search.bitchute.com/renderer?use=bitchute-json&name=Search&login=bcadmin&key=7ea2d72b62aa4f762cc5a348ef6642b8&query=Europa+The+Last+Battle

https://nativeamericanchurches.org/

My adopt a Bill is LeSean McCoy

10 hours ago, StraightJ said:

One thing that got me was that most espisodes were 30-40 minutes, and the season was 8 episodes.  Otherwise pretty good.  I like the still shot artwork of the scenes at the end, letting you reflect during the credits if you like.  I wonder how long fans will have to wait to get their next 8 episodes?  :)   

It's kind of cool having a characted named Mando then be joined by Lando.  

Season 2 is coming in the Fall of 2020. Stay tuned. This is the way!

- Howard Beale, Network