Sign in to follow this  
Crazy Legs

Is Quinton Spain that good? Or is his PFF rating more accurate?

ProFootball Focus gives Quinton Spain a grade of 55.9.    That is below average.   

For comparison Dion Dawkins' grade was 73.3.   Which is above average.
Other comparisons.   Zack Martin 88.1.   A very high rating.     Quentin Nelson is 90.1.  Top rating.   And for fun, Richie Incognito was rated 74.

So, I hear a lot of Bills homers claiming Quinton Spain is a great lineman and we need to 100% keep him.

Do we?   Can't we do better than a 55.9 rated OG?

If we could find another RT, then bumping Cody Ford inside while letting Spain go in Free Agency, makes sense.  The challenge is that the draft comes AFTER free agency.

Thoughts?   

Upgrade the OLine.   Under the radar: RB Javon Leake, Maryland   DL Ross Blacklock, TCU

Draft Becton to play RT and move Ford to guard. Problem solved. Spend our money at WR on Perriman or whatever the f*ck his name is.

• Thanks 2

MY FOUR FAVORITE TEAMS:

1) THE BLUE JAYS 2) THE BILLS

3) WHOEVER IS PLAYING THE RED SOX

4) WHOEVER IS PLAYING THE PACHEATIOTS

:bills:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jetsy

Imagine, Patsie fans thinking something was amiss in A super Bowl. I bet they thought they had a monopoly on cheating. LOL

2 hours ago, Crazy Legs said:

ProFootball Focus gives Quinton Spain a grade of 55.9.    That is below average.   

Other comparisons.   Zack Martin 88.1.   A very high rating.     Quentin Nelson is 90.1.  Top rating.   And for fun, Richie Incognito was rated 74.

So, I hear a lot of Bills homers claiming Quinton Spain is a great lineman and we need to 100% keep him.

If we could find another RT, then bumping Cody Ford inside while letting Spain go in Free Agency, makes sense.  The challenge is that the draft comes AFTER free agency.

Thoughts?   

PFF has interesting advanced stats. PFF is horrible at grading players and ranking players.

PFF loses all credibility in grading players when they said Duck Hodges is a better QB than Josh Allen, and when they ranked Jameis Winston above Josh Allen in their QB ranking.

Quinton Spain solidified the LG position after Vlad Ducasse was a turnstile at LG in 2018.

Spain can be re-signed for modest NFL money.

• Thanks 1

L*t is a loser

My adapt a Bill is Brandon Beane.

1065198188.jpg.0.jpg

7 hours ago, Crazy Legs said:

Thoughts?   

I mean it all depends on the $$.  You can't have all-stars at every position.  It's hard to have even average players at all 22 starting spots.  So I think in some spots you have to have guys that are "good enough" and to me, he qualifies.  They should be capable of signing him to a deal that in no way, shape, or form handcuffs them beyond 2020.

14 minutes ago, Buffalo13 said:

I mean it all depends on the $$.  You can't have all-stars at every position.  It's hard to have even average players at all 22 starting spots.  So I think in some spots you have to have guys that are "good enough" and to me, he qualifies.  They should be capable of signing him to a deal that in no way, shape, or form handcuffs them beyond 2020.

Excellent point.  We only paid him $2 million this year.  If he wants to re-sign again for $2 million, that helps the overall Cap Number.

Upgrade the OLine.   Under the radar: RB Javon Leake, Maryland   DL Ross Blacklock, TCU

Spain was a undrafted FA who the Bills signed to only a 1 year deal and the Titans didn't want to keep him probably because they thought they could upgrade. We should to. He was fine but I would think we could do a little better.

• Like 1

Just my 2 Cents

The Things that unite us are far greater than the things that divide us.

"The Force, it's calling to you. Just let it in." - Maz Kanata: Star Wars VII The Force Awakens

"It's time for the Jedi to end." - Luke Skywalker: Star Wars Episode VIII The Last Jedi

''We will always be with you. No one's ever really gone.'' - Luke Skywalker Star Wars Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker

#Cup or Bust 2020 #Bowl or Bust 2020

3 hours ago, daryls61 said:

Spain was a undrafted FA who the Bills signed to only a 1 year deal and the Titans didn't want to keep him probably because they thought they could upgrade. We should to. He was fine but I would think we could do a little better.

Daryl, you should come out of the Shoutbox more often.  I agree with this, and the UDFA was something I don't think I was aware of(I think we were starting at least 2 UDFA's last season, had some decent luck there recently).  No hate on Spain from me, as Jungle and others noted he is an improvement from the abysmal OL Beane left us with last season.  However, I think ideally Spain would be a good depth guy.  We've got the cap room to upgrade, or I wouldn't mind seeing a 2nd lineman(interiour this time) drafter in the top 4 picks if they are close to BPA.   

StraightJ: The Range's most relevant news source 

"I don't think I'm easy to talk about. I've got a very irregular head. And I'm not anything that you think I am anyway".

-Syd Barrett, founder of Pink Floyd. Rolling Stone, December 1971

https://oathkeepers.org/about/

Europa: The last Battle is the new best documentary in existence: https://search.bitchute.com/renderer?use=bitchute-json&name=Search&login=bcadmin&key=7ea2d72b62aa4f762cc5a348ef6642b8&query=Europa+The+Last+Battle

https://nativeamericanchurches.org/

My adopt a Bill is LeSean McCoy

On 1/10/2020 at 10:31 AM, Crazy Legs said:

Thoughts?   

Dawkins high grade?  Didn't pass my eye test.  Him and Ford were the weak links IMO

Sin is nothing to celebrate, have pride in, or hold parades for. The rainbow is a symbol of promise not a symbol of depravity.

59 minutes ago, miamibillsnut said:

Dawkins high grade?  Didn't pass my eye test.  Him and Ford were the weak links IMO

PFF rated Cody Ford a 52.4.     That is well below average, which seems to jive with what we saw this year.

Quentin Nelson 90.1
Lane Johnson 88.8
Zach Martin 88.1
Dion Dawkins 73.3
Ty Nsekhe 67.3
Cody Ford 52.4

So Dawkins wasn't rated high by PFF, but they didn't rate him as a slug either.  Can we say mediocre?   He gave up 4 sacks (not sure how many pressures), which isn't great, but isn't terrible.

Would it be nice to have a young Jason Peters at LT and Lane Johnson at RT?  Sure, but getting top shelf OTs is hard.   Maybe we will draft an OT in the 1st round this year?

18 hours ago, daryls61 said:

I agree.

And I think McBeane will be looking in FA.  Of course if he can't find an upgrade in Free Agency, you sign Spain back again for $2 million on a one year deal as insurance and then figure out who plays Guard in training camp.  Maybe you have drafted one by then, or, you are moving Cody to OG, best man wins the job.

On 1/10/2020 at 10:39 AM, 212frawk said:

Dump him.

L*t is a loser

1065198188.jpg.0.jpg

On 1/11/2020 at 11:54 AM, miamibillsnut said:

Dawkins played better in 2019 compared to 2018. Having a good LG besides your LT helps your LT. Quinton Spain is superior LG than Vlad Ducasse.

Dawkins is much better than Ford in pass protection as an OT.

L*t is a loser

1065198188.jpg.0.jpg

On 1/10/2020 at 6:44 PM, daryls61 said:

Tennessee replaced Quinton Spain with Rodger Saffold a former 2nd round pick and a player who was an all pro in 2017, so yes Saffold is an upgrade to Spain.

But Buffalo has a turnstile in Vlad Ducasse at LG in 2018 and replaced him with a much better player in Quinton Spain.

I would re-sign Spain to a cap friendly deal to have consistency in the OL and draft an athletic OG/OC with high upside in the mid rounds and develop him as an eventual replacement for Spain so Buffalo isn't forced to start a rookie LG.

L*t is a loser

1065198188.jpg.0.jpg