Sign in to follow this  
Tim M

Matthew Fairburn: EJ Manuel on Doug Marrone departure from Bills: 'God works in mysterious ways'

Quote:

EJ Manuel's smile said it all.

The third-year quarterback has always been one to say the right thing.

He never complained when he was benched 14 games into his NFL career.

So when he was asked Monday at the start of voluntary offseason workouts whether Doug Marrone opting out of his contract with the Buffalo Bills was the best thing that could have happened to his career, he smirked and did his best to toe the company line.

"I don't know," Manuel said. "I don't know because (Marrone)'s not here with us right now. I just think God works in mysterious ways. I'm excited with the coaches we have now."

He certainly does.

Just a few months ago, Manuel was in the shadows of Kyle Orton, who has since retired.

He was also working his way out of the doghouse of a coaching staff that had cast him aside less than 18 months after investing a first-round pick in him.

A fresh start wouldn't have been possible without a coaching change.

"I don't know," Manuel said. "A true fresh start? I don't think so, because they were here with me. We were both rookies at the same time."

Now, Manuel has a new coach in Rex Ryan, a clean slate in an open competition and a plethora of new weapons to work with.

What happened in 2014 is behind him, and Manuel thinks he's better for it.

"That's neither here nor there," Manuel said of how the last coaching staff handled him. "That's how I look at it now."

"I do think looking back, I learned a lot from it. I learned about the business of the NFL."

"And I definitely learned a lot about my manhood and about myself and what I can handle and what I can take."

Manuel spent a good portion of the offseason in Tampa Bay working with Steve DeBerg.

He's been focusing on tightening up his throwing motion.

More importantly, though, Manuel feels like his confidence is back.

"Just being myself," Manuel said. "I think I said that to you guys once I wasn't playing. I just want to get back to myself."

"I tried to utilize that time during the scout team when I was going against our defense in practice just to get back to who EJ Manuel is as a quarterback."

Manuel's first chance to take advantage of the clean slate and demonstrate that progress will come on April 28, when the Bills' begin voluntary veteran minicamp.

Link: http://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2015/04/ej_manuel_on_doug_marrone_departure_from_bills_god_works_in_mysterious_ways.html?www.buffalorange.com

My Adopt-A-Bill for 2013 is WR Mat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

(Wet Rubber Mat)

if (ToErr == objHuman)

{

objForgive = objDivine;

}

pretty mature for such a young man

you can tell hes had good mentors and role models. i always feel so bad for guys that didnt have that, they started out with such tremendous disadvantages. and yet, they still control their own destiny and have to find ways to overcome a poor start in life. as we all know, too often they dont

i hope he can succeed on the field as much as it appears he already has in life smarts

One set of rules for all in the beloved community

"The word racism is like ketchup. It can be put on practically anything, and demanding evidence makes you a 'racist' " - Thomas Sowell

He always says the right things and genuinely seems to be a good guy. Its a damn shame he's so bad as a player because he could easily be a hero in town with his attitude.

Bills fan for life!! ................

I love beer, rum, scotch and women !! :rockon:

He always says the right things and genuinely seems to be a good guy. Its a damn shame he's so bad as a player because he could easily be a hero in town with his attitude.

I am hoping he surprises all of us.

Jack Kemp is my official Adopt-an-Alumni Bill

September 25, 1962 -- QB Jack Kemp became a member of the Buffalo Bills when he was claimed off waivers from the San Diego Chargers for $100.

EJ Manuel is my Adopt-A-Bill

2013-Topps-Football-EJ-Manuel-Wal-Mart-Blue-212x300.jpg

Would it surprise anyone to see Jax prosper and Manuel fade out of thought in 2015? No.

What boggles my mind about this board is how much stock you all put in coaches, play calling etc yet dont even concede that maybe a change in staff could make a difference to EJ.

Its "Marrone SUCKED, HACKETT SUCKED. New coaches are way better, good coaches make bad players good etc" and also "EJ IS SO BAD NEVER GOOD".

But no one is even willing to accept that new scheme and coaches could turn around a QB thats under 25 and with only 14 games played.

Im not counting on him ever being a pro bowler, butI have see him be jsut what we want, an adequate game manager that could improve, and I have no doubts AT ALL that he will be better this year.

I just hope its alot better and not just a minor improvement.

He was in the dog house because he shit on the carpet and chewed up the leather slippers. I hope he gets the proper training from an experienced and qualified handler.

48372057_1969525509802965_4664389317303468032_n.jpg?_nc_cat=1&_nc_ht=scontent-sjc3-1.xx&oh=8fd3638a10a1407561bc1873032b72c4&oe=5C95B70A

a stunningly handsome man who is never wrong gives him a 20.458% chance

One set of rules for all in the beloved community

"The word racism is like ketchup. It can be put on practically anything, and demanding evidence makes you a 'racist' " - Thomas Sowell

Not even a 1 in 4 chance? I'll be routing for him. I think he got kicked on one of Marrone's bad days (one of many)........to keep the dog analogy going.

48372057_1969525509802965_4664389317303468032_n.jpg?_nc_cat=1&_nc_ht=scontent-sjc3-1.xx&oh=8fd3638a10a1407561bc1873032b72c4&oe=5C95B70A

What boggles my mind about this board is how much stock you all put in coaches, play calling etc yet dont even concede that maybe a change in staff could make a difference to EJ.

Its "Marrone SUCKED, HACKETT SUCKED. New coaches are way better, good coaches make bad players good etc" and also "EJ IS SO BAD NEVER GOOD".

But no one is even willing to accept that new scheme and coaches could turn around a QB thats under 25 and with only 14 games played.

Im not counting on him ever being a pro bowler, butI have see him be jsut what we want, an adequate game manager that could improve, and I have no doubts AT ALL that he will be better this year.

I just hope its alot better and not just a minor improvement.

They say marrone sucked because he is gone. Easy to not want something that you can't have.

Coordinators always get blamed. Even proven coordinators like norv turner or Scott linehan have bad years with bad QBs. Remember how bad gilbride was? He didn't look so bad winning Super Bowls with Eli.

A QB makes the coach way more than the other way around. EJ sucks and deep down we all know it.

They say marrone sucked because he is gone. Easy to not want something that you can't have.

Coordinators always get blamed. Even proven coordinators like norv turner or Scott linehan have bad years with bad QBs. Remember how bad gilbride was? He didn't look so bad winning Super Bowls with Eli.

A QB makes the coach way more than the other way around. EJ sucks and deep down we all know it.

I'm going to take the Buddhist middle path on this one. I think it was a combination of all parties semi-sucking in certain regards. EJ wasn't "ready", whatever the reason may be. I'm not claiming he will ever be Aaron Rodgers who sat 3 years, but I'm not ready to say he's become "post-concussion Trent" yet. He very well may not work out, but to conclude such based on the circumstances up to this point is short-sighted, even if the odds may lean toward that guess.

I like the open competition in camp with 2 fields, which I believe Rex says nobody else does, in order to make sure no one can say they didn't get enough reps. It's too early to judge Rex yet on his ability to develop QBs in Buffalo, regardless of what happened in NY. His approach and statements are things that I like hearing for now though. I don't want anyone to be wrong so that I can be right, I would like them to be wrong about EJ so that the Bills can win. Of course those folks may say the same toward those of us not ready to stick a fork in EJ.

If EJ doesnt work out, it will be a shame, being he has the character most of us would want as the face of our team.

"I don't think I'm easy to talk about. I've got a very irregular head. And I'm not anything that you think I am anyway".

-Syd Barrett, founder of Pink Floyd. Rolling Stone, December 1971

https://oathkeepers.org/about/

Europa: The last Battle is possibly the most useful documentary in existence in terms of understanding how society came to be like it currently is: https://search.bitchute.com/renderer?use=bitchute-json&name=Search&login=bcadmin&key=7ea2d72b62aa4f762cc5a348ef6642b8&query=Europa+The+Last+Battle

https://nativeamericanchurches.org/

My Adopt A Bill is Stefon Diggs

My 2nd Adopt A Bill is Christian Wade(he gets an exemption and doesn't require a spot) :)

Something clicked with Kelly after a couple of years, maybe the same will happen with EJ