Sign in to follow this  
Tim M

Thurman: D will marry 2013 & 2014 schemes

Quote:

When Rex Ryan was named head coach of the Bills and defensive coordinator Dennis Thurman soon followed, most outside observers assumed that Ryan’s defense as it’s been previously drawn up would be implemented.

After watching how effective Buffalo’s players were in a different scheme in 2014, finishing fourth in the league overall, Thurman is going to marry elements of the two schemes together.

“Our way of thinking is we’ll tweak some things,” Thurman told Buffalobills.com.

“We have a talented group of guys on defense that played really well last year so we’re going to incorporate some of the things that they were doing along with some of the things we were doing and make the transition a little bit easier for them.”

While Thurman has a good number of players on the defensive side of the ball, who played well in Ryan’s scheme under former coordinator Mike Pettine in 2013, their consistency in former 2014 coordinator Jim Schwartz’s scheme convinced him to carry over parts of that defense to this season as well.

“We definitely took a look at what they did when Mike (Pettine) came in and installed the system,” said Thurman.

“We looked at how the guys performed within it. Looking at that along with 2014 tape and how well they played you have to look at everything as a whole."

"We did that as well and we’re going to incorporate some of the things they did in 2014 as well because they played very sound fundamental defense.”

Link: http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2015/04/06/thurman-d-will-marry-2013-2014-schemes/?www.buffalorange.com

My Adopt-A-Bill for 2013 is WR Mat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

(Wet Rubber Mat)

if (ToErr == objHuman)

{

objForgive = objDivine;

}

Obviously Rex knows his defense. Nobody can argue that one. But then again nobody can argue that last year we were freaking awesome on D. Sooooo if Rex and Thurman are smart they will not tweak all that much and just go with the stuff that works. This is a prime example for the phrase "If it ain't broken don't fix it". I hope they understand this and don't try to adjust too much and end up screwing it up in the process.

Bills fan for life!! ................

I love beer, rum, scotch and women !! :rockon:

Exactly my friend.

Loved the 2014 D. Did I love the 2013 D? Um not really. The D that got gashed by the run every freaking game? F that noise. Let's leave that D buried and forgotten. The only thing that last year's D needs tweaking is to show up earlier in the season. Let's steam roll fools game 1.

miserable that 70s show GIF

if they loved last seasons defense so much why dont they marry it?

done

One set of rules for all in the beloved community

"The word racism is like ketchup. It can be put on practically anything, and demanding evidence makes you a 'racist' " - Thomas Sowell

if they loved last seasons defense so much why dont they marry it?

done

Weaksauce meat. You can do better.

Bills fan for life!! ................

I love beer, rum, scotch and women !! :rockon:

While the "many look/always keep em guessing" D is intriguing, it's hard to argue against the 4th best D in the league last year. I worry that some boards have us drafting a 5 whatever DE and a NT, when our DL is already the strong point. I get Ryan's goal of being #1 (or a very close 2nd) on D, but I'm worried that too much tweaking becomes a gamble, as does focusing too much of our draft resources on the DL. If they are hellbent on transitioning the D further than their initial "play with what you have" statements, it would seem wiser to spread more of the transition into the 2nd year when you can start working on points for style.

"I don't think I'm easy to talk about. I've got a very irregular head. And I'm not anything that you think I am anyway".

-Syd Barrett, founder of Pink Floyd. Rolling Stone, December 1971

https://oathkeepers.org/about/

Europa: The last Battle is possibly the most useful documentary in existence in terms of understanding how society came to be like it currently is: https://search.bitchute.com/renderer?use=bitchute-json&name=Search&login=bcadmin&key=7ea2d72b62aa4f762cc5a348ef6642b8&query=Europa+The+Last+Battle

https://nativeamericanchurches.org/

My Adopt A Bill is Stefon Diggs

My 2nd Adopt A Bill is Christian Wade(he gets an exemption and doesn't require a spot) :)