Sign in to follow this  
SackMan518

AOC Inspires Workers to Form Union; Company Cans Them All #RetardFiles

AOC Inspires Workers to Form Union; Company Cans Them All

Back in April, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s ludicrous Green New Deal inspired a group of New York City construction workers to unionize, becoming one of the first unions in the solar power industry. It didn’t last long, though.

On Monday, the union’s employer, Bright Power, decided to fire the whole staff and replace them with subcontractors. All this happened while the union was trying to negotiate for their first contract, too.

“We have come to the conclusion that our resources have been spread too thin with so many different kinds of work all being done in-house,” Jeffrey Perlman, Bright Power CEO, said in a company email, according to Vice. “It makes business sense to return to a fully subcontracted solar installation model.”bhlg.php?bannerid=42&campaignid=23&zonei

2vy8hz.jpg

Ouch. It was not revealed if the unionizing was the cause, but the timing couldn’t have been worse. The fired workers had been employed by Bright Power for the last four years, and they think the unionizing was the reason behind the sudden cuts.

“This is obviously retaliation for union organizing,” said Chris Schroth, one of the 12 fired by Bright Power. “The total hypocrisy of their progressive mission as a green energy company is disgusting. They did everything that a big bad union busting company does. This is exactly what a coal company or any other evil company does.”

Ocasio-Cortez was quick to back the workers after the news broke, but that should be expected considering her ideas are what may have led to the union in the first place.

“Bright Power must be held accountable,” she said in a tweet Friday.

Many have told me they think the pro-justice & worker provisions in the Green New Deal are “unnecessary.”

Yet this example is why a just transition is vital. Without it, oil barons turn into energy barons, & workers are hurt all the same.

Bright Power must be held accountable. https://t.co/HmP3IOAyzF

— Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (@AOC) November 22, 2019

The firings came during a period of growth for Bright Power. The company, which installs solar panels in many areas of New York City, has been named one of 5,000 of the fastest growing companies in the U.S. by Inc. magazine.

But workers weren’t as quick to praise the company, and cited safety concerns as the main reason for wanting to unionize. In 2019, some workers were injured and some also claim that management was forcing employees to work in extreme weather conditions during New York’s brutal winters.

The job is grueling and dangerous as workers traverse tall buildings while handling high voltage equipment.

“We were belittled and ignored,” an anonymous worker told Vice. “They never told us we had to do anything but there was implied punishment if we didn’t.”

All this pushed the workers to unionize with Local 3 in New York after a 75% yes vote back in April.

“Bright Power says it’s progressive and cares about families,” said Raymond Kitson, Bright Power’s representative for Local 3 said. “Yet none of the company’s profits are passed onto any of the workers. Bright Power has sought to undermine the wages and benefits that are standard in this line of electrical work.”

The IBEW contract that the then-intact union was fighting for would have meant workers would earn $56 an hour and receive comprehensive benefits.

“This was some visionary stuff. This was the Green New Deal,” Schroth said. “The people who talk about green jobs aren’t actually in the field. They’re not going to fall off a building and lose their life. But we are. The union wasn’t about Bright Power giving us anything. It was about them respecting the voice of their workers.”

It didn’t work, though, and now the workers are having to walk away with only one week of severance pay.

“This is right out of the playbook of any union busting corporation. They know these men can’t afford to be out of work,” said Kitson. “They’ll make them squabble over a couple week’s severance just so they can make it to Christmas.”

•  

Sack "The Buffalo Range's TRUSTED News Source!"

"But, man, you're never going to get any truth from us. We'll tell you anything you want to hear; we lie like hell... We'll tell you any shit you want to hear. We deal in *illusions*, man! None of it is true! But you people sit there, day after day, night after night, all ages, colors, creeds... We're all you know. You're beginning to believe the illusions we're spinning here."

- Howard Beale, Network

confused mouth open GIF

process.jpg

Fuck this team

I'll tie a frying pan to my ass so you hurt your penis, you ****ing homo!

Shut the fuck up dark cloud pussy

Anyone who is foolish enough to not be a Buffalo Bills fan can go f*ck themselves with a wooden shovel handle.

image-trump-emoticon.png

also, all that shit in your signature is beyond annoying. just like you.

1 hour ago, f8ta1ity54 said:

Why shouldn't workers unionize?

Sounds like a shitty company for this behavior 

Then don’t go to work for them lol. There are pros and cons to unions, but don’t tell me how to run my business.

• Like 1

Racism is evil, and those who cause violence in its name are criminals and thugs, including the KKK, neo-Nazis, white supremacists, and other hate groups that are repugnant to everything we hold dear as Americans.

2 hours ago, f8ta1ity54 said:

Why shouldn't workers unionize?

Sounds like a shitty company for this behavior 

I'm union and I agree but did you read the article? They were demanding $56 an hour.

"But, man, you're never going to get any truth from us. We'll tell you anything you want to hear; we lie like hell... We'll tell you any shit you want to hear. We deal in *illusions*, man! None of it is true! But you people sit there, day after day, night after night, all ages, colors, creeds... We're all you know. You're beginning to believe the illusions we're spinning here."

- Howard Beale, Network

8 minutes ago, SackMan518 said:

I'm union and I agree but did you read the article? They were demanding $56 an hour.

"But workers weren’t as quick to praise the company, and cited safety concerns as the main reason for wanting to unionize. In 2019, some workers were injured and some also claim that management was forcing employees to work in extreme weather conditions during New York’s brutal winters.

The job is grueling and dangerous as workers traverse tall buildings while handling high voltage equipment."

Sounds like dangerous work. How much an hour is your life worth? I'm guessing $56 an hour was the starting point to the bargain and likely would have come down. I honestly dont get how this says anything bad about AOC. She tried to get them what they DESERVE. The multi-million dollar making company said fuck you. Is that the capitalism you want? Sounds like the company is ANTI-worker. Why isnt that the scandal?

• Thanks 1
  • Trump 1

18 minutes ago, Angry Byrds said:

Then don’t go to work for them lol. There are pros and cons to unions, but don’t tell me how to run my business.

So you dont believe in a minimum wage?

Just now, f8ta1ity54 said:

"But workers weren’t as quick to praise the company, and cited safety concerns as the main reason for wanting to unionize. In 2019, some workers were injured and some also claim that management was forcing employees to work in extreme weather conditions during New York’s brutal winters.

The job is grueling and dangerous as workers traverse tall buildings while handling high voltage equipment."

Sounds like dangerous work. How much an hour is your life worth? I'm guessing $56 an hour was the starting point to the bargain and likely would have come down. I honestly dont get how this says anything bad about AOC. She tried to get them what they DESERVE. The multi-million dollar making company said fuck you. Is that the capitalism you want? Sounds like the company is ANTI-worker. Why isnt that the scandal?

A lot more than that. However, I work around dangerous voltages, high working environments, and sensitive electronic equipment all day and don't even make that much an hour on straight time. I agree that these guys deserve a great wage and benefits in a growing sector but it almost seems like IBEW completely nuked them from the labor market. On the plus side they'll all get hired by contracting companies and come back to work. I had an interview with a solar company up here a couple of summers ago looking for some side work and they were only paying $15 an hour and wanted me to bring my own tools. Needless to say I told them to pound sand. I'm all for unions but at the same time they have to be reasonable and the upper leadership has to be watched since they can be as bad as the CEOs.

- Howard Beale, Network

3 minutes ago, SackMan518 said:

A lot more than that. However, I work around dangerous voltages, high working environments, and sensitive electronic equipment all day and don't even make that much an hour on straight time. I agree that these guys deserve a great wage and benefits in a growing sector but it almost seems like IBEW completely nuked them from the labor market. On the plus side they'll all get hired by contracting companies and come back to work. I had an interview with a solar company up here a couple of summers ago looking for some side work and they were only paying $15 an hour and wanted me to bring my own tools. Needless to say I told them to pound sand. I'm all for unions but at the same time they have to be reasonable and the upper leadership has to be watched since they can be as bad as the CEOs.

Sounds like your union should be doing more.

I'm sure there is plenty of corruption in unions too. I dont doubt it. Not the issue here, its negotiations.

What did AOC do wrong here?

This company is huge and is growing faster on the backs of its workers and they dont get they're fair share.

34 minutes ago, f8ta1ity54 said:

Not at 56 an hour. Idk what that had to do with what i said lol. I don’t believe in unions protecting bad workers, especially teachers. If a teacher is going to get a raise it should be because their students are testing higher than others, not because it’s time to get a raise

• Like 1

Racism is evil, and those who cause violence in its name are criminals and thugs, including the KKK, neo-Nazis, white supremacists, and other hate groups that are repugnant to everything we hold dear as Americans.

33 minutes ago, f8ta1ity54 said:

Sounds like your union should be doing more.

I'm sure there is plenty of corruption in unions too. I dont doubt it. Not the issue here, its negotiations.

What did AOC do wrong here?

This company is huge and is growing faster on the backs of its workers and they dont get they're fair share.

Pro-tip: ALL unions should be doing more. Many of them now have unwisely focused increasing their memberships by sticking up for illegal immigrants (they'll never join) and service industry workers (they don't make enough and turnover is too easy since it's not skilled). My own union just voted to create a human rights committee - Dafuq? That has nothing to do with protecting middle class jobs. I don't know anyone who admitted to voting FOR it yet it easily passed somehow.

• Thanks 1

- Howard Beale, Network

4 minutes ago, SackMan518 said:

Pro-tip: ALL unions should be doing more. Many of them now have unwisely focused increasing their memberships by sticking up for illegal immigrants (they'll never join) and service industry workers (they don't make enough and turnover is too easy since it's not skilled). My own union just voted to create a human rights committee - Dafuq? That has nothing to do with protecting middle class jobs. I don't know anyone who admitted to voting FOR it yet it easily passed somehow.

What dafuq is that all about

1 minute ago, Angry Byrds said:

What dafuq is that all about

Going woke and making it seem like they're doing something for us at the hall when in reality they're doing nothing and backing off from valid grievances. Sad state of affairs.

• Thanks 1

- Howard Beale, Network

Unions are scrambling. So many have been broken, only 11% of all workers in America are union anymore, which is pathetic and probably why the work environment, wages and health insurance are a joke. That $56.00 an hour was probably their whole package, not just the dollars/hr. I was an iron worker and the prevailing wage in the 80's in NY City was about $27.00 an hour.

“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes.

A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production.

Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Twitter: @HKTheResistance

HipKat, on *** other h***, is genuine, unapoli***tically nasty, and w**** his hea** on his ******. jc856

I’ll just forward them to Bridgett. comssvet11

Seek help. soflabillsfan

54 minutes ago, Angry Byrds said:

Not at 56 an hour. Idk what that had to do with what i said lol. I don’t believe in unions protecting bad workers, especially teachers. If a teacher is going to get a raise it should be because their students are testing higher than others, not because it’s time to get a raise

You said you cant be told what to do with your business, so I figured I'd ask.

56 an hour doing a tough job in NYC. What do you think a 2 bedroom in NYC costs?

Unions may protect bad workers but eventually bad workers cant be saved.

Teachers have a difficult job. They have to teach the same curriculum to everyone in the class with sometimes 3 differnt levels of ability and ELLs. Teaching to standardized tests is part of the problem. There is a shortage of quality teachers only because they dont get paid enough.

unions are sometimes necessary, but for a bidness that just treats its employees well as a matter of policy it becomes a handicap

so the idea that all blue collar workers should unionize is passe. each situation has to be evaluated individually

jmo

One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Josh Allen is my adopt-a-nigga

Harrison Phillips is my adopt-a-meatball

On 11/24/2019 at 1:59 PM, SackMan518 said:

AOC Inspires Workers to Form Union; Company Cans Them All

Back in April, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s ludicrous Green New Deal inspired a group of New York City construction workers to unionize, becoming one of the first unions in the solar power industry. It didn’t last long, though.

On Monday, the union’s employer, Bright Power, decided to fire the whole staff and replace them with subcontractors. All this happened while the union was trying to negotiate for their first contract, too.

“We have come to the conclusion that our resources have been spread too thin with so many different kinds of work all being done in-house,” Jeffrey Perlman, Bright Power CEO, said in a company email, according to Vice. “It makes business sense to return to a fully subcontracted solar installation model.”bhlg.php?bannerid=42&campaignid=23&zonei

2vy8hz.jpg

Ouch. It was not revealed if the unionizing was the cause, but the timing couldn’t have been worse. The fired workers had been employed by Bright Power for the last four years, and they think the unionizing was the reason behind the sudden cuts.

“This is obviously retaliation for union organizing,” said Chris Schroth, one of the 12 fired by Bright Power. “The total hypocrisy of their progressive mission as a green energy company is disgusting. They did everything that a big bad union busting company does. This is exactly what a coal company or any other evil company does.”

Ocasio-Cortez was quick to back the workers after the news broke, but that should be expected considering her ideas are what may have led to the union in the first place.

“Bright Power must be held accountable,” she said in a tweet Friday.

Many have told me they think the pro-justice & worker provisions in the Green New Deal are “unnecessary.”

Yet this example is why a just transition is vital. Without it, oil barons turn into energy barons, & workers are hurt all the same.

Bright Power must be held accountable. https://t.co/HmP3IOAyzF

— Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (@AOC) November 22, 2019

The firings came during a period of growth for Bright Power. The company, which installs solar panels in many areas of New York City, has been named one of 5,000 of the fastest growing companies in the U.S. by Inc. magazine.

But workers weren’t as quick to praise the company, and cited safety concerns as the main reason for wanting to unionize. In 2019, some workers were injured and some also claim that management was forcing employees to work in extreme weather conditions during New York’s brutal winters.

The job is grueling and dangerous as workers traverse tall buildings while handling high voltage equipment.

“We were belittled and ignored,” an anonymous worker told Vice. “They never told us we had to do anything but there was implied punishment if we didn’t.”

All this pushed the workers to unionize with Local 3 in New York after a 75% yes vote back in April.

“Bright Power says it’s progressive and cares about families,” said Raymond Kitson, Bright Power’s representative for Local 3 said. “Yet none of the company’s profits are passed onto any of the workers. Bright Power has sought to undermine the wages and benefits that are standard in this line of electrical work.”

The IBEW contract that the then-intact union was fighting for would have meant workers would earn $56 an hour and receive comprehensive benefits.

“This was some visionary stuff. This was the Green New Deal,” Schroth said. “The people who talk about green jobs aren’t actually in the field. They’re not going to fall off a building and lose their life. But we are. The union wasn’t about Bright Power giving us anything. It was about them respecting the voice of their workers.”

It didn’t work, though, and now the workers are having to walk away with only one week of severance pay.

“This is right out of the playbook of any union busting corporation. They know these men can’t afford to be out of work,” said Kitson. “They’ll make them squabble over a couple week’s severance just so they can make it to Christmas.”

•  

LOL

2 hours ago, Angry Byrds said:

This

Hell.  Why not $256.00 per hour then.  Give me a break.

Huh?  I'll bet you believe in the $15.00 per hour minimum wage.  LOL.  The job killer.

1 minute ago, Thebowflexbody said:

Hell.  Why not $256.00 per hour then.  Give me a break.

What is the minimum hourly wage you could personally live on while raising a family?

16 minutes ago, Meathead said:

unions are sometimes necessary, but for a bidness that just treats its employees well as a matter of policy it becomes a handicap

so the idea that all blue collar workers should unionize is passe. each situation has to be evaluated individually

jmo

Reasonable

2 minutes ago, Thebowflexbody said:

Huh?  I'll bet you believe in the $15.00 per hour minimum wage.  LOL.  The job killer.

Why not indentured servitude?..or slave labor, the real money maker.

2 minutes ago, f8ta1ity54 said:

What is the minimum hourly wage you could personally live on while raising a family?

A fifteen dollar minimum wage would be a job killer.  Big mistake.  Some kid flipping burgers at McD's ain't worth $15 per hour.  No one is ENTITLED to a certain pay grade regardless of their situation. 

4 minutes ago, f8ta1ity54 said:

Why not indentured servitude?..or slave labor, the real money maker.

LOL.  Okay hotshot.  Great answer.  What else ya got?  No freebies here.