LiterateStylish

Lorenzo Alexander on why Ed Oliver is struggling: It's hard to be undersized and transition to the NFL.

Ouchy.

“I think it hasn’t gone as well for him as he thought. But defensive line (and) being undersized, it’s a hard transition from college to pros, and to be able to play it at a high level. My messaging always to him is just be patient.”

The truth is Oliver has played well at times. The sack numbers aren’t there but Bills coach Sean McDermott said that Phillips’ promotion was more about him than anything Oliver wasn’t doing.

But at the same time the NFL game is obviously been a different experience for Oliver, who’s had to focus more on the little details to find any of the success he’s had so far in his rookie season.

“You gotta continue to work on the fundamentals, the little details so that you can play at a high level," Alexander said. "Especially at that three-technique when you’re getting double teamed by big guys and you have to learn how to play it based on the attributes that you have.

Alexander is in his 13th NFL season and has played a bevy of positions during his career, including defensive tackle and defensive end. Even now as an outside linebacker, Alexander is used just as much in the pass rush as he is in coverage. He knows what it takes to be a good d-lineman and he thinks Oliver has what it takes to figure out how to be effective at this level.

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2019/11/why-is-bills-dt-ed-oliver-struggling-rookie-team-captain-lorenzo-alexander-explain.html

ELVesNXWwAAe_QT.jpg

Why is that an ouch? It's 100% factual. Like many college athletes they blow players away in college game based purely on physical ability and then when they get to the NFL they realize that technique is needed as well. The guy just needs more reps in a live game and to work on the mental aspect so in no way is he a bust after only 9 games.

• Like 1

Sack "The Buffalo Range's TRUSTED News Source!"

"But, man, you're never going to get any truth from us. We'll tell you anything you want to hear; we lie like hell... We'll tell you any shit you want to hear. We deal in *illusions*, man! None of it is true! But you people sit there, day after day, night after night, all ages, colors, creeds... We're all you know. You're beginning to believe the illusions we're spinning here."

- Howard Beale, Network

Oliver is listed at 287 and Aaron Donald is listed at 284. Both are listed at 6'1. No guarantee of success but size is not Olivers issue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just my 2 Cents

The Things that unite us are far greater than the things that divide us.

"The Force, it's calling to you. Just let it in." - Maz Kanata: Star Wars VII The Force Awakens

"It's time for the Jedi to end." - Luke Skywalker: Star Wars Episode VIII The Last Jedi

''We will always be with you. No one's ever really gone.'' - Luke Skywalker Star Wars Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker

#Cup or Bust 2020 #Bowl or Bust 2020

2 hours ago, daryls61 said:

Oliver is listed at 287 and Aaron Donald is listed at 284. Both are listed at 6'1. No guarantee of success but size is not Olivers issue.

Donald is a freak of nature.

Its rare to be that size and be that good.

• Like 1

ELVesNXWwAAe_QT.jpg

1 hour ago, Bleedzbillz said:

“One Line Lit” strikes again!  Takes one line and not the whole context of the article.

I literally quoted and linked the entire article in the post ... did you think that I could fit the entire article into the subject line?

lmao.

ELVesNXWwAAe_QT.jpg

the fact that theyve had alonzo playing that position a few reps a game tells you that you dont have to be big to be effective

i wouldnt be surprised if opie had alonzo running those reps so that oliver can analyze how alonzo compensates for his size disadvantage with technique

• Trump 1

One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Josh Allen is my adopt-a-nigga

Harrison Phillips is my adopt-a-meatball

Lets be real, it was a serious question if he could make the transition from playing low level D1 to the NFL because of his size and lack of actual moves. He was able to blow past people before and he's strong, but his strength isn't where Donald is.  Donald did more in college against much stiffer competition and didn't do a helluva lot his first half season, Oliver has a long way to be mentioned in the same breath as Donald.  Personally, I wouldn't have taken the risk, just didn't see enough there to justify it, but now, he better learn to rush the passer or he's going to be the next Shaq.   

This team has a bad tendancy to fall for elite traits and not looking for football players, its pretty rare those traits work out to be make you great.  The one area where McClappy clearly has an eye is DBs, he gets a lot out of lesser physically special players.  

I'm not sure how it is, regardless of GM, you see them fall for athletes over and over again, not football players.  The only exception I can note is Tre White.  Singletary might become that ex exception too, but they had best quit wasting first round picks on projects.  Its been a miserable failure and why they still suck today.

On 11/15/2019 at 7:26 AM, Meathead said:

the fact that theyve had alonzo playing that position a few reps a game tells you that you dont have to be big to be effective

i wouldnt be surprised if opie had alonzo running those reps so that oliver can analyze how alonzo compensates for his size disadvantage with technique

On 11/14/2019 at 10:17 PM, Coach'sUncle'sSon said:

He needs to add 10 pounds of muscle. He'll do that in the offseason.

I hope. Some young rookie players appear small coming out of college because their bodies are still growing. Matt Milano was smaller a couple years ago and has definitely put on some muscle mass since his rookie year.

He's tied for 3rd on Pass Rush Win Rate. So he IS beating his blocks as often as he could be expected to. I guess the struggle comes after that point.

On 11/15/2019 at 12:32 AM, Buffalochief2 said:

Man we suck at drafting.  I knew we should have drafted Bosa.  

Yes!  Too bad we passed on Bosa.  Eye roll.