Sign in to follow this  
HipKat

Trump's Fake Trade War Victims

‘I’m gonna lose everything’ (Full Story)
A farm family struggles to recover after rising debt pushes a husband to suicide

PLATTE, S.D. — Amber Dykshorn stood at her kitchen window and watched the storm come in.

It was a very dark Saturday night in the middle of the summer in the middle of a year that is on track to be the wettest in more than a century. The wind blew over the farm, the rain came down and she heard the ominous pings on her roof — pea-sized hail, striking the still-fragile stalks of the only corn her husband, Chris Dykshorn, was able to plant before he took his own life in June.

Did their crop insurance cover hail damage? She had no idea. That was something Chris would have taken care of, if he were here. Instead she was alone, with nearly $300,000 in farm debt, three kids ages 5 to 13 and a host of grief-fueled questions. Why hadn’t she been able to save him? What would happen to them now?

She scrolled through his final texts, rereading his words, leaning on the kitchen counter next to a whiteboard with the kids’ chore list — Kahne: dishwasher, Kalee: dust living room — and a book someone gave her titled “Through a Season of Grief: Devotions for Your Journey from Mourning to Joy.”

Chris had been despondent over the couple’s finances, crippled by surplus grain he couldn’t sell because of the trade war and flooded fields.

“I’m struggling so bad today. I don’t know what to do anymore,” he texted on May 31. “I seriously don’t know how we r gonna make it.”

On June 1: “I just want to sit in the house and cry.”

And then: “What am I supposed to do. I am failing and feel like I’m gonna lose everything I’ve worked for the past how many years.”

She was still asleep the morning of June 13 when he went to the utility room to get his gun.

In farm country, mental health experts say they’re seeing more suicides as families endure the worst period for U.S. agriculture in decades. Farm bankruptcies and loan delinquencies are rising, calamitous weather events are ruining crops, and profits are vanishing during Trump’s global trade disputes.

A 2017 study found that farm owners and workers were three to five times as likely to kill themselves on the job compared with other occupations. Researchers studying more recent data have not yet determined if farmer suicides are increasing, but leaders and social workers in rural America say that, anecdotally, they’re seeing more of these deaths. Calls to suicide hotlines around farm country have risen, prompting new federal and state programs targeting farmers’ mental health, including support groups, public awareness campaigns and funding for counseling.

10 hours ago, DeRokerij said:

Aaaaand this is Trump's fault how?

I guess you missed where it said Trade War? Look, this guy is suicidal anyway and uses the tariffs as an excuse to kill himself, but the Tariffs are having a very adverse affect on Midwestern farmer and many are feeling pretty desperate. 

The trade war was always going to be painful in the short term. It's the long term that we have to keep an eye on. Is it Trump's fault that these painful measures have to be taken for the greater good and long term health of our country or do you think it may be the generations of politicians who fucked us over?

1 hour ago, SackMan518 said:

The trade war was always going to be painful in the short term. It's the long term that we have to keep an eye on. Is it Trump's fault that these painful measures have to be taken for the greater good and long term health of our country or do you think it may be the generations of politicians who fucked us over?

China is not budging. The Trade War is affecting US, not them. Saying this is a short term pain to farmers is like me telling God I live life on MY time