LiterateStylish

Whaley dropping his pants for Clay

I think some people just like to complain to complain ..... Bills don't sign people you hear about how cheap they are .... They do sign people and they are overpaying .... Is it Clay worth the money? .... I have no idea ... Let me see what the hell he does for us in the next five years and I will let you know .... He certainly has flashed potential and the Bills obviously project that he can be him a top TE in the league .... We will find out if they are right or not

Nobody Circles the Wagons like the Buffalo Bills!!!

How do you want to define "overpaying"? Pegula was asked if he overpaid when he bought the Bills... His answer? I OWN THE TEAM...

That's what I think it comes down to really... If you want Clay and are willing to pay him 38 million over 5 years (assuming Miami doesn't match) then you're not overpaying...

Is Mario worth what he is being paid? Is P.Manning overpaid? Manning has only 1 SB to his name... How many millions has he been paid over his career?

How do you want to define "overpaying"? Pegula was asked if he overpaid when he bought the Bills... His answer? I OWN THE TEAM...

That's what I think it comes down to really... If you want Clay and are willing to pay him 38 million over 5 years (assuming Miami doesn't match) then you're not overpaying...

Is Mario worth what he is being paid? Is P.Manning overpaid? Manning has only 1 SB to his name... How many millions has he been paid over his career?

Apples to oranges.

With Pegula, he has almost unlimited resources, relative to the cost of a franchise.

But when we're talking about the war chest for acquiring players, we're talking about something that's finite, because of the salary cap. That war chest consists of cap money, players and draft choices. And every time Whaley overspends on an acquisition, be it with money or draft choices or players, it leaves that much less to use to acquire other players, like franchise QBs.

The boatload that he paid for Watkins set the franchise back years.

"Every single day I went out there I tried to have respect for the game and I played as hard as I possibly could." Derek Jeter 9/25/14

Apples to oranges.

With Pegula, he has almost unlimited resources, relative to the cost of a franchise.

But when we're talking about the war chest for acquiring players, we're talking about something that's finite, because of the salary cap. That war chest consists of cap money, players and draft choices. And every time Whaley overspends on an acquisition, be it with money or draft choices or players, it leaves that much less to use to acquire other players, like franchise QBs.

I agree with you that Whaley shouldn't have traded the #1 pick for Watkins... I don't think that Whaley though is just making moves on his own... My bet is that Rex is pretty much running the show and that they both report to Pegula... One big happy family... So again, if Pegs was unhappy I'm sure we would have known about it by now... Ergo, the Bills are not "overoaying"... Who are we to tell Pegula how to spend his own money? Unlike Ralph he is trying to win NOW... and I for one am all for it!

I'm not about to guarantee we make the playoffs this year but if we do how will that be setting back the franchise that has not been there for the last fifteen years?

Now is the time to look forward as we put this dreadful Era behind.

rangeroamer.jpg

If Miami doesn't match the offer sheet:

Clay will average more per season than Greg Olsen, Jason Witten, Vernon Davis, Antonio Gates, and Jared Cook.

His guaranteed money will be more than Jimmy Graham, Rob Gronkowski, Jason Witten, Antonio Gates, Vernon Davis, and Jared Cook.

did he overpay? yes, a bit.....its free agency, you always overpay. Clay is coming into his prime and may be better than Jason Witten, Vernon Davis, Antonio Gates, and Jared Cook right now. His numbers are comparable and consider that he played on a terrible offense.

12thmannb6.jpg

Circle the wagons

If Miami doesn't match the offer sheet:

Clay will average more per season than Greg Olsen, Jason Witten, Vernon Davis, Antonio Gates, and Jared Cook.

His guaranteed money will be more than Jimmy Graham, Rob Gronkowski, Jason Witten, Antonio Gates, Vernon Davis, and Jared Cook.

Your complaint last week was that the bills hadn't gained anything but a running game...because boohoo we lost spikes and chandler. Oh and the Jets and Dolphins got WAY better while we stood pat and just re-signed guys, like signing Jerry Hughes for 9 mill a year is meaningless.

Well since then we signed harvin and clay and the fins traded their #1 WR. And here you are bitching and complaining still, big shocker.

Too bad they didn't follow your alternative plan of trading for Brees...if only Whaley were as smart as you!

Apples to oranges.

Serious question. How so?

We'd have the 19th pick. The same pick Chip Kelly was offered for Bradford and declined. 19 isn't getting you one of the top QB's in the draft this year. There truly aren't that many holes in this roster right now, QB being the obviously glaring one. So what would they do with 19 this year? LB? Sure, that'd be nice but its not entirely necessary. If they want one of the second tier QB's like Petty, Grayson or Hundley, one of them will likely be there at 50, or they can trade up a few spots if necessary.

Its still way too early to judge Watkins. I do agree that it's not looking great because they could've grabbed Beckham without trading the first, but I'm honestly not losing all that much sleep about not picking 19 this year.

We haven't had a TE since Riemmersmera. (mispelled on purpose) Clay fits perfectly in Roman's Offense. We need him and if he wants to be here then it is all worth it. No quality FA's available and none in the draft.

We'd have the 19th pick. The same pick Chip Kelly was offered for Bradford and declined. 19 isn't getting you one of the top QB's in the draft this year. There truly aren't that many holes in this roster right now, QB being the obviously glaring one. So what would they do with 19 this year? LB? Sure, that'd be nice but its not entirely necessary. If they want one of the second tier QB's like Petty, Grayson or Hundley, one of them will likely be there at 50, or they can trade up a few spots if necessary.

Its still way too early to judge Watkins. I do agree that it's not looking great because they could've grabbed Beckham without trading the first, but I'm honestly not losing all that much sleep about not picking 19 this year.

I was gonna say the same thing...don't see how grabbing a stud like Sammy sets a team back years. Sure ODB was phenomenal but hindsight is 20/20 and I'd be willing to bet that Sammy ends up with the better career, provided

he eventually gets a comparable QB. I have seen many rookie superstars who appeared unstoppable come crashing back to earth....Jevon kearse, Cadillac Williams, RG3 to name a few. And like you said #19 pick is likely to be, at best, a very good starter at a non-QB position. We already have lots of those.

My favorite part of all of this is that the people complaining about the money involved in the Clay deal would be the first to crucify the team if Miami matches it and we don't end up with him.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My favorite part of all of this is that the people complaining about the money involved in the Clay deal would be the first to crucify the team if Miami matches it and we don't end up with him.

Or Complaining that we dont have a TE lol

Clay is a lot better player then Chandler and is entering his prime !

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 1m1 minute ago

Dolphins are NOT matching 5-year, $38 million offer sheet that Buffalo gave TE Charles Clay, per sources. Bills have a new TE.

He is ours. Whaley actually knew what he was doing.

lets not start clucking each others chicks just yet

One set of rules for all in the beloved community

"The word racism is like ketchup. It can be put on practically anything, and demanding evidence makes you a 'racist' " - Thomas Sowell

Harvin is a better Roscoe Parrish...can impact a defense when used properly....IF he can stay healthy. And yes, that's a huge "if".

"I am alarmed at the subtle invasion of professional football, which is gaining preeminence over baseball. It's unthinkable."

- Branch Rickey (August 20, 1959)

"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit. The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

- Marcus Aurelius

It has nothing to do with how good Watkins may or may not be. But I'll guarantee you he doesn't turn out to be light years better than Odell Beckham Jr, and he could have been had without pissing away this year's #1 and a 4th.

So let's go to the WayBack Machine and undo that bit of stupidity. Now you have Beckham and you still have this year's #1 AND Kiko Alonso, and you have a very real package with which to go hunting for a Brees or a Rivers, or a trade-up for Mariotta or Winston, after having signed DeMarco Murray.

Absent that bit of elementary GM'ing, we are, as I said, stuck with a worthless EJ Manuel, and a Watkins, whose value is greatly diminished because he is constrained by the lack of a QB.

And there's no end in sight to the QB situation, because of foolish overspending by Whaley, when other options were clearly available at every turn.

The rest of the league is playing chess while Whaley plays checkers.

"Every single day I went out there I tried to have respect for the game and I played as hard as I possibly could." Derek Jeter 9/25/14

most likely going to disappoint but hopefully not ville level disappoint

"The word racism is like ketchup. It can be put on practically anything, and demanding evidence makes you a 'racist' " - Thomas Sowell

It has nothing to do with how good Watkins may or may not be. But I'll guarantee you he doesn't turn out to be light years better than Odell Beckham Jr, and he could have been had without pissing away this year's #1 and a 4th.

So let's go to the WayBack Machine and undo that bit of stupidity. Now you have Beckham and you still have this year's #1 AND Kiko Alonso, and you have a very real package with which to go hunting for a Brees or a Rivers, or a trade-up for Mariotta or Winston, after having signed DeMarco Murray.

Absent that bit of elementary GM'ing, we are, as I said, stuck with a worthless EJ Manuel, and a Watkins, whose value is greatly diminished because he is constrained by the lack of a QB.

And there's no end in sight to the QB situation, because of foolish overspending by Whaley, when other options were clearly available at every turn.

The rest of the league is playing chess while Whaley plays checkers.

Hindsight is twenty-twenty. How many year's has it been since we have seen this level of talent on the team. I'm not saying that he has been batting a thousand but he has clearly improved our team in a short time. Trent Belkie looked to be a great GM and look what's happened in San Francisco. Football is a hit and miss game. I can live with Whaley's misses considering what we have had here the last fifteen years.

Now is the time to look forward as we put this dreadful Era behind.

rangeroamer.jpg

Hindsight is twenty-twenty. How many year's has it been since we have seen this level of talent on the team. I'm not saying that he has been batting a thousand but he has clearly improved our team in a short time. Trent Belkie looked to be a great GM and look what's happened in San Francisco. Football is a hit and miss game. I can live with Whaley's misses considering what we have had here the last fifteen years.

Hindsight can't be 20-20 when you're being paid to do one on 32 NFL GM jobs on Earth. You get paid to analyze and predict--to be the guy who gets over on the other GM, not the guy who gets suckered.

And I'm not sure how much of the recent "success" is about Whaley and how much is residual from Nix.

Either way, you can't call it success until you get to the playoffs.

I think the team is probably better, but I also believe that it could have been much, MUCH better if better, smarter deals had been made.

really wont be able to tell if the sammy move was right or not for two more seasons min

still, id rather have those two picks and one of the other top rookie wideouts myself. even tho i love me some sammy

I just look at it as retroactive payments for not paying anyone for years.

YIPPIE KAI YAY MF'ER!!!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Anyone against signing Clay to a 7.6milly contract can suck my s covered d til the j shoots out.

He's worth about 6.9milly in a perfect world. But we had to steal him from a division rival so we had to overpay a little.

But jeah...... S my parts.

as reported by Fang McFrost, NFL Insider

Lady on these streets, Freak in the sheets.

He rated as the #11 run blocking TE last year per PFF.

Ah, thanks. I was looking for that stat and couldn't find it. So he's a better-ranked blocker than a receiver, which supports the point he's probably the best TE available this year (without giving up a first). It's nice when the stated philosophy of the football program is in agreement with the personnel choices being made. It's been a while since we had a clear identity on both the offensive and defensive sides of the ball. While we had a clear defensive identity last year, the Marrone era was completely bereft of an offensive philosophy and identity, which is ridiculous given he was supposed to be an offensive guru and a former (shitty washout) NFL lineman. I'm not saying we'll succeed just because we haven an offensive philosophy, but the chances of success without a clear one are far smaller than otherwise, in my estimation.

Apples to oranges.

drafting one of the best WR's in the NFL does not set your franchise back years, drafting players like Aaron Maybin top eleven sets your team back years......

12thmannb6.jpg

Circle the wagons