Sign in to follow this  
bi-polar billiever

Too much rest during the bye?

I am wondering if this game changes McDermott’s stance on rest during the bye week over preparation, I thought we looked pretty flat on both sides of the ball especially in the trenches, Josh even said they had rust, and fitz almost carried a shit team on his back to beat us.

43 minutes ago, bi-polar billiever said:

I am wondering if this game changes McDermott’s stance on rest during the bye week over preparation, I thought we looked pretty flat on both sides of the ball especially in the trenches, Josh even said they had rust, and fitz almost carried a shit team on his back to beat us.

I don't think it was too much rest, I think they just thought that they could win by just showing up.  Kent Hull observed in 1992 that its so hard to keep focus every week in a sixteen week season, and so I think they relaxed just a little bit too much.  Fortunately Miami has to keep down with Cincy and so they threw this one, but yeah I think they just looked past Miami and assumed the Fish would just roll over and die.  I think they learned a very valuable lesson that you need to be ready every damn week.  We will see how well they learned that lesson next week and the week after.

Edited by Herodotus
typos
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Herodotus said:

I don't think it was too much rest, I think they just thought that they could win by just showing up.  Kent Hull observed in 1992 that its so hard to keep focus every week in a sixteen week season, and so I think they relaxed just a little bit too much.  Fortunately Miami has to keep down with Cincy and so they threw this one, but yeah I think they just looked past Miami and assumed the Fish would just roll over and die.  I think they learned a very valuable lesson that you need to be ready every damn week.  We will see how well they leanred that weekend next week and the week after.

Good post.

Fun fact, Sean McDermott is now 3-0 following the bye week.

If Buffalo makes the playoff again this year, it will be the 2nd time in McDermott's 3 seasons in Buffalo.

Maybe McDermott isn't as bad a head coach as Lit claims.