Sign in to follow this  
jamsim67

Offense still hasn't connected, yet 5-1

I'll be the first to tell you that I expected a lot more from this offense today, yet they still got the win. And at the end of the day, wins are the most important stat.

Whats more important to you guys, 300 yards of passing and a few losses, or the 5-1 record?

Might be a good idea to start using Yeldon a little more on screen passes, because if and when they make the playoffs, they have to be able to control the ball. My big complaint is where McDermott always seems to take his foot off the gas pedal, plays not to lose and puts the game in the hands of his defense. If Josh is going to get better at the NFL level, then they need to get in the habit of keeping the ball and scoring more points.

It's obvious that McDermott feels that a balanced offense with little to no mistakes, and great defense is what will bring success to this organization. And it's hard to argue with that logic, since their only loss was due to early mistakes.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, jamsim67 said:

I'll be the first to tell you that I expected a lot more from this offense today, yet they still got the win. And at the end of the day, wins are the most important stat.

Whats more important to you guys, 300 yards of passing and a few losses, or the 5-1 record?

Might be a good idea to start using Yeldon a little more on screen passes, because if and when they make the playoffs, they have to be able to control the ball. My big complaint is where McDermott always seems to take his foot off the gas pedal, plays not to lose and puts the game in the hands of his defense. If Josh is going to get better at the NFL level, then they need to get in the habit of keeping the ball and scoring more points.

It's obvious that McDermott feels that a balanced offense with little to no mistakes, and great defense is what will bring success to this organization. And it's hard to argue with that logic, since their only loss was due to early mistakes.

What is more important is 5-1.  What I think many want to see, myself included, is continued improvement.  We have seen a consistently strong D all year.  We have seen different players rising to the occassion all year.  What we have not seen is the proverbial "complete performance."  We have a team that is learning to win, and I understand and appreciate that learning to win means winning ugly before you can win with style, but we have yet to see a complete game this year.  I am not too worried because I still see this year as the one just before the championship window.  I would be disappointed if we failed to make the playoffs, but I think expectations for dominance have to wait until we get the OL and the WR corps we need for the job.  We have depths, we have a pretty good D, but we need to build the front wall on the O, get some WRs, and then we can be dominant.  This year its learning how to dance. Next year its winning the dance competition.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, jamsim67 said:

Lit, Sean and other Allen haters will point at stats as way to ignore any positives Allen shows.

Having nice stats are great, but I would rather win games, stack wins and make the playoffs. Allen has lead Buffalo to a 5-1 record, which is 2nd in the AFC conference in his 2nd year. Allen is a work in progress and still has area's in his game he most work on improving but has improved in his lower body throwing mechanics which in turn has improved his ball placement/accuracy with was a valid criticism of him last year. Allen had a 52.8 completion percentage last year and currently has a 62.4 completion rate so far. This is an area of his game that draft twitter and the analytics crowd thought Allen could never improve in.

Allen has yet to throw for 300 passing yards in his young career. It will happen sooner than later. Several factors are the reason for this including the fact Daboll runs a balanced offense, and Daboll's playcalling. Daboll doesn't want a predictable offense where the offense is pass happy and defense can pin their ears back and go after Allen. Having a healthy Foster on the field with Brown will improve the deep passing game. Defenses will not be able to key on one player in Brown to prevent deep passes.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, junglesouljah said:

Lit, Sean and other Allen haters will point at stats as way to ignore any positives Allen shows.

Having nice stats are great, but I would rather win games, stack wins and make the playoffs. Allen has lead Buffalo to a 5-1 record, which is 2nd in the AFC conference in his 2nd year. Allen is a work in progress and still has area's in his game he most work on improving but has improved in his lower body throwing mechanics which in turn has improved his ball placement/accuracy with was a valid criticism of him last year. Allen had a 52.8 completion percentage last year and currently has a 62.4 completion rate so far. This is an area of his game that draft twitter and the analytics crowd thought Allen could never improve in.

Allen has yet to throw for 300 passing yards in his young career. It will happen sooner than later. Several factors are the reason for this including the fact Daboll runs a balanced offense, and Daboll's playcalling. Daboll doesn't want a predictable offense where the offense is pass happy and defense can pin their ears back and go after Allen. Having a healthy Foster on the field with Brown will improve the deep passing game. Defenses will not be able to key on one player in Brown to prevent deep passes.

They're driving me up a wall. This team is 5-1 because they are more balanced, and aren't throwing the ball 40 times a game.

Are there issues they need to address? Yes. But they are 5-1. If they were 1-5 I might tend to agree with them ... but only to a certain extent. 

53 minutes ago, jamsim67 said:

It’s NOT either/or.

What is the homers obsessions with thinking it’s either 300 yards passing OR a win?

You can have BOTH!!!

Just now, LiterateStylish said:

It’s NOT either/or.

What is the homers obsessions with thinking it’s either 300 yards passing OR a win?

You can have BOTH!!!

But at the moment we're not getting both. What we are getting is wins. I like wins more.

It doesn't mean that I don't think McDermott has problems that he needs to address. It's just nicer addressing those problems with a 5-1 record, instead of the exact opposite.

Wouldn't you agree?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LiterateStylish said:

It’s NOT either/or.

You can have BOTH!!!

Yes I feel that if you have a guy who can throw for 300 yards more often than not...then you don’t have games that are coming down to the last few minutes. This is a cap gun offense right now. 

• Thanks 1

I'm not sure they will connect to be honest. 

Its been 6 games of this. They might find a game or two in which it all clicks. But overall I don't think they are gonna be a big time offense at all. We would've seen a few flashes and we really haven't through 1/3 of the season. Its been a do just enough to survive, depend on the D type of offense.