Sign in to follow this  
LiterateStylish

Dolphins vs Bills for DUMMIES - What happened: A thinking guide for those who need to know

We are 5-1.

Great.

But the way in which we won, has to be concerning for Sean McD and staff.

In fact, I would bet that McD is having similar thoughts as me right now.

Let’s not forget that the Dolphins are the worst team in the NFL and one of the worst in NFL history.

#1) The Dolphins are giving up an average of 169 yards per game on the ground. We rushed for 117. That’s 50+ yards less than what other teams were putting against the same team.

#2) The Dolphins are giving up an average of 270 yards per game in the air. We threw for 202 yards. Nearly 70 yards less than what other teams were putting up against the same team. 

#3) The Dolphins scored 10 points, 0 Points, 6 points, and 10 points in their first 4 games. They dropped 21 vs us. More than DOUBLE what they were putting up against other teams.

So yes, as @junglesouljah points out, we won.

It goes in the Win column.

It counts.

But the manner in which you gain that Win, can tell you an awful lot about how well the team may fair against more difficulty opponents.

A few telling items:

1) With the game on the line, and a couple 1st downs able to secure the game, they didn’t let Allen throw a single pass. Zero. Say what you want, but I think this says A LOT about how the staff feels about Allen right now. If they had Watson or Mahomes, I dont think we run 3 times and punt. We pass at least once and ice the game.

2) Milano is a HUGE part of our defense. He is MORE than 1/11th of the defense. Without him in there, running lanes were suddenly open. TE’s were running open. The worst offense in football was moving the chains over and over and over again. Monster contract incoming...

3) Allen can not hit a deep pass. Teams are noticing. They’re letting our WR’s blow past them, because they know Allen won’t be able to hit it anyway. At one point (it was the Duke injury catch), Beasley was WIDE OPEN. I mean by 20+ yards. And Allen either didn't see him, or he saw him and knew he wouldn’t be accurate enough to complete it. Seeing how far he overthrew Brown on the deep pass, I think he may have not trusted himself to hit Beasley. Who knows.

4) Knox needs to spend 24 hours per day with the juggs machine. He has more drops than catches in the last 3 games and his drop against the Patriots may have been the difference between us winning and losing. It’s a big deal.

5) Star was once again invisible. He wasn't taking any double teams. Taron Johnson and Kevin Johnson were alternating in knicker packages today, and every time Fitz would go after Levi Wallace. He got picked apart. I’m nervous about Wentz.

• Thanks 1
  • Disagree 1

Allen needs to improve his deep ball passes.

But more importantly Buffalo won the game and Allen threw 2 TD's with 0 interceptions.

Buffalo should start Robert Foster and the deep ball passing of the offense will improve.

When you look at game tape there are plays you can improve on even on games you win. You can always improve as a player. No player has a perfect game.

4 weeks from now nobody is going to give a shit how or by how much we won this game.  

After the wild card game win, nobody will care then either. especially if it's at home thanks to today's win

Fitz made some ridiculous plays and gets rid of the ball quickly. That type of play from him can make the Dolphins a problem and they were.

The rest is nonsense.

Critical thinking? LMFAO! You an the overreaction/garbage hot take king.

This team does enough to win which is what you need to do.

Are we super bowl bound? Nobody thinks that, but winning counts and teams win that way often. This team is no exception.

We'll see how things play out over the season, but all this team needs to do is not turnover the ball and they can be in it against anyone.

Works for me, and most of the real fans.

2 minutes ago, miamibillsnut said:

4 weeks from now nobody is going to give a shit how or by how much we won this game.  

After the wild card game win, nobody will care then either. especially if it's at home thanks to today's win

Wow, the point flew right over your head.

1 minute ago, Philly'sFinest said:

Fitz made some ridiculous plays and gets rid of the ball quickly. That type of play from him can make the Dolphins a problem and they were.

The rest is nonsense.

Critical thinking? LMFAO! You an the overreaction/garbage hot take king.

This team does enough to win which is what you need to do.

Are we super bowl bound? Nobody thinks that, but winning counts and teams win that way often. This team is no exception.

We'll see how things play out over the season, but all this team needs to do is not turnover the ball and they can be in it against anyone.

Works for me, and most of the real fans.

You didn’t read the entire post.

actually, you didn’t even read half of it.

i love new software 

8 minutes ago, LiterateStylish said:

Wow, the point flew right over your head.

No it didn't.  You are focusing on crap.  The nfl is a week to week league.  Next week the bills can pitch a 100 yard shutout on D and put up 400 yards of offense.   Nobody will give a crap about the minutiae of today's WIN other than it was a WIN.  They WON and Allen played well other than missing 2 bombs

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, miamibillsnut said:

No it didn't.  You are focusing on crap.  The nfl is a week to week league.  Next week the bills can pitch a 100 yard shutout on D and put up 400 yards of offense.   Nobody will give a crap about the minutiae of today's WIN other than it was a WIN.  They WON and Allen played well other than missing 2 bombs

Again, you missed the point.

If you had actually read the original post, you wouldn’t have written this.

It’s not that it matters in the standings how we won.

But how we won is an indication of the quality of our team, and whether we can do any long term damage to opponents.

Wowza.

48 minutes ago, miamibillsnut said:

Where and when the hell is this offense gonna scrounge up 400 yards?

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, miamibillsnut said:

400 yards of offence??  Not even flippin close.....THIS was the game to get over 400 yards of offence!

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, junglesouljah said:

Allen needs to improve his deep ball passes.

But more importantly Buffalo won the game and Allen threw 2 TD's with 0 interceptions.

Buffalo should start Robert Foster and the deep ball passing of the offense will improve.

Why?  I'm an Allen supporter and I can't even defend this.  Allen has been missing guys by 10 yards on every deep throw.  He's not even giving them a chance.  Please explain how Foster changes where Allen throws the ball to.

8 minutes ago, Buffalo13 said:

Why?  I'm an Allen supporter and I can't even defend this.  Allen has been missing guys by 10 yards on every deep throw.  He's not even giving them a chance.  Please explain how Foster changes where Allen throws the ball to.

You’re right, it doesn’t make sense.

You are all aware that New England scored 29 offensive points against the Dolphins and we scored 24, right?  It's not some huge difference.  

I wish that Buffalo would have just killed them but the fact is that you're dealing with people here, not numbers or statistics.  Miami was energized because they were starting Fitz and Fitz made some nice plays which he almost always does when he first gets on the field for any franchise (see Bills, Texans, Jets, etc.).  Buffalo weathered the storm and made enough plays to win.  It's crazy to me to get so worked up over the way a team wins that you take only negatives away from the game.  

You are correct..but if you look back in ANY thread before the game I said..what SHOULD happpen and what would probably happen..and pretty much what I said would probably happen..happened

1. VS one of the worst teams in NFL HISTORY the game SHOULD have been something like 42-10 Bills D vs a bad O Bills O vs a horrid D

2. What would actually happen..Bills would struggle for NO DISCERNIBLE REASON AT ALL and make a blowout a closer game than it should be...

but thats more or less what I said before the game even started yesterday or this AM and its pretty much what happened...

WHY did that happen..because its the fucking Bills and they are almost always Billsy..thats how the bills do buisness/

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, PlayoffCurse said:

Where and when the hell is this offense gonna scrounge up 400 yards?

Hate to break it to you but they are on a streak of 300 plus of god knows how long. All it takes to get to 400 is Allen to actually connect on one of those long throws he keeps overthrowing 

1 minute ago, miamibillsnut said:

Hate to break it to you but they are on a streak of 300 plus of god knows how long. All it takes to get to 400 is Allen to actually connect on one of those long throws he keeps overthrowing 

you made a funny and didnt realize it you said Allen HIT a deep pass LOL LOL LOL that kid cant hit a deep pass to save his life unless you mean over or under throw anyone over 30 yards down field by 5-15 yards

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, LiterateStylish said:

We are 5-1.

Great.

Let’s not forget that the Dolphins are the worst team in the NFL and one of the worst in NFL history.

#1) The Dolphins are giving up an average of 169 yards per game on the ground. We rushed for 117. That’s 50+ yards less than what other teams were putting against the same team.

#2) The Dolphins are giving up an average of 270 yards per game in the air. We threw for 202 yards. Nearly 70 yards less than what other teams were putting up against the same team. 

#3) The Dolphins scored 10 points, 0 Points, 6 points, and 10 points in their first 4 games. They dropped 21 vs us. More than DOUBLE what they were putting up against other teams.

It counts.

But the manner in which you gain that Win, can tell you an awful lot about how well the team may fair against more difficulty opponents.

A few telling items:

1) With the game on the line, and a couple 1st downs able to secure the game, they didn’t let Allen throw a single pass. Zero. Say what you want, but I think this says A LOT about how the staff feels about Allen right now. If they had Watson or Mahomes, I dont think we run 3 times and punt. We pass at least once and ice the game.

2) Milano is a HUGE part of our defense. He is MORE than 1/11th of the defense. Without him in there, running lanes were suddenly open. TE’s were running open. The worst offense in football was moving the chains over and over and over again. Monster contract incoming...

3) Allen can not hit a deep pass. Teams are noticing. They’re letting our WR’s blow past them, because they know Allen won’t be able to hit it anyway. At one point (it was the Duke injury catch), Beasley was WIDE OPEN. I mean by 20+ yards. And Allen either didn't see him, or he saw him and knew he wouldn’t be accurate enough to complete it. Seeing how far he overthrew Brown on the deep pass, I think he may have not trusted himself to hit Beasley. Who knows.

4) Knox needs to spend 24 hours per day with the juggs machine. He has more drops than catches in the last 3 games and his drop against the Patriots may have been the difference between us winning and losing. It’s a big deal.

5) Star was once again invisible. He wasn't taking any double teams. Taron Johnson and Kevin Johnson were alternating in knicker packages today, and every time Fitz would go after Levi Wallace. He got picked apart. I’m nervous about Wentz.

1. I have no problem with pounding the rock against a team that is bad at stopping it.  IF I was coaching this game, I would have pounded the ball late just like we did.  Actually, I would have pounded the rock all damn day long.  Sure I would have passed, but this is the game won by the infantry and not the air force

2. Milano is certainly a key cog to our D, but on the other hand I think this was one of those patented Fitzmagic games.  If he had any talent at all around him then we would have lost.  Paradoxically, if he had any talent around him and a coaching staff that was not committed to the M1A1 or T-34 then that team would not be 0-6

3. Don't really have a problem with him playing the short game, but I do have a problem with him throwing bricks.  He needs to learn how to put touch on his passes.

4. I fully agree

5. Again, I think this is just one of those games Fitz wanted to win, and had the Fish coaches not been hellbent on preserving the Sherman/Panzer then he may well have won, but yeah if we play to their level, Wentz does concern me

2 hours ago, LiterateStylish said:

We are 5-1.

Great.

It counts.

A few telling items:

I agree with all of this. However, not one of us thought that Allen and this offense would be pro bowl bound. We knew that they had work to do.

This offense is better than they were last year, and they get better moving forward.

I agree that our depth at linebacker is an area of concern.  Like most defenses an accurate QB can pick them apart.  Fitz should that when he is accurate its a problem.  If Wentz has time he will give us the same problem.  Maybe we can get some pass deflections at the line to help.  he had a bunch early in the season.

I will have to watch the game again, I am curious how many times Josh went through progressions.  In the second half he may not have had to.

I like 2nd half Josh Allen.

Last year Allen had a 52.8 completion rate and his critics thought he would never be able to improve that.

This year Allen has a 62.4 completion rate, which is almost 10 % higher and now his critics are are saying he can't hit deep balls.

Allen has shown better ball placement/accuracy to the short and intermediate parts of the field this year. Yes he needs to improve the his ball placement/accuracy to the deep parts of the field. But he has been with out his favorite deep ball WR, Robert Foster for most of the year.

Foster slide down the depth chart because of free agent additions John Brown and Cole Beasley and has battled a turf toe injury in preseason and a groin injury during the season. Having Foster in the line up with Brown will make the Bills deep game more effective because Brown and Foster both have 4.4 40 yard speed and are good at tracking the ball on deep routes. The deep ball part of the Bills offense will improve.

3 hours ago, LiterateStylish said:

We are 5-1.

Great.

It counts.

A few telling items:

Hey dicklock. They had Allen throw 3 straight times with 3/4 min to go in the Bengals game and you guys crucified him. You all freaked that they didn't run the ball and run the clock and blasted Daboll. So which is it Aristotle? Run or pass late? 

• Like 1