SpikedLemonade

Bills select RB D'Andre Swift in PFF 2020 mock draft

Pro Football Focus looked ahead to the 2020 NFL draft and released an early mock draft. In it, the Bills select a surprising player in Georgia running back D’Andre Swift.

The all-around elusive and strong between-the-tackles rusher goes No. 26 overall to the Bills in the mock.

Here’s why PFF thinks the Bills should go with Swift:

Someone will, unfortunately, pull the trigger on a running back in all likelihood and with the Bills commitment to getting Josh Allen some receiving help, they are the lucky ones. Swift is comfortably the best receiver of the top group of running backs. He’s racked up 61 catches for his career (only three drops) with 18 broken tackles after the catch.

With the word “unfortunately” above, PFF is hinting at the NFL’s feelings toward selecting running backs early at the draft. Most believe value can be found on running backs in later rounds unless its a talent as good as Saquon Barkley.

In this mock, Swift is the only back taken in the first round. He would provide Allen another playmaker, but with Zay Jones’ recent trade and John Brown and Cole Beasley not getting any younger, if the Bills go offensive playmaker, is should much rather be a receiver, not back.

Plus there’s current Bill Devin Singletary to consider.

But PFF often uses its own rankings to consider where players should be drafted, above all else. The interesting mock has the Dolphins passing on a quarterback in the top-10 twice, and has LSU QB Joe Burrow being selected first overall.

Related

Bills add WR Ray-Ray McCloud to practice squad

2019 Bills opponents: Steelers' Mason Rudolph returns

Ryan Fitzpatrick on facing Bills: 'The fans are so into it'

2019 Bills opponents: Ravens, Browns make trades with Rams

Email Sign up

Like this article?

Sign up for the Bills Wire email newsletter to get our top stories in your inbox every morning

An error has occured

Please re-enter your email address.

Thanks for signing up!

You'll now receive the top Bills Wire stories each day directly in your inbox.

View the full article

40 minutes ago, George said:

Swift is a good RB but IMO he isn't a 1st round talent. I would rather draft Chuba Hubbard or Jonathan Taylor in the 2nd or 3rd rounds.

33 minutes ago, Laughing Coffin said:

There's no way we take a 1st round RB...RIGHT?!

Gotta go OL/WR/DE

IMO RT, WR and edge rusher are bigger needs and better 1st round value than a RB. The exception is Etienne. Buffalo will be picking 21st or lower in the 1st round and I like Etienne there if Buffalo wants to draft a dynamic RB.

Buffalo will probably try to grab a WR or RT in the 1st round.

Edited by junglesouljah

22 hours ago, junglesouljah said:

IMO RT, WR and edge rusher are bigger needs and better 1st round value than a RB. The exception is Etienne. Buffalo will be picking 21st or lower in the 1st round and I like Etienne there if Buffalo wants to draft a dynamic RB.

Buffalo will probably try to grab a WR or RT in the 1st round.

Etienne is good, but Barkley on the NYG has shown, once again, that an all-world RB doesn't necessarily change how many games your team wins.  Etienne size wise is also not the type of back I'd want to pair with Singletary.  I want someone that plays at 220lbs, need a inside, short yardage back.  Scottie Phillips Ole Miss would be a good 4th round pick if he falls that far

If Houston doesn't keep him, we could sign Carlos Hyde.

Also maybe we take a chance on Kareem Hunt.  The NFL has a short memory for talented players

• Like 1

I don't pretend to know exactly what Sean McD and Brandon Beane want to do in the 1st round of the 2020 NFL draft.\

But let's consider:

They did trade up to get MLB Tremaine Edmunds.   He was a need.  And he was talented.

This year they sat at 9 and took a talented player, Oliver, at a position of need.  DT.

In 2017, McDermott was coming in the door and the Bills took Tre' White.  Talented and a need.

My guess is it will be Best Available Player, at a position of need.    So what will we need most come April?

I hope we have a shot at a stud OLineman.    A guy you can draft and play for the next 10 years.    (I would wait on a WR and RB).
Otherwise, a fast OLB that can cover backs and TEs might be considered a need.
Corner is always a need.  If there is another Tre White sitting there at pick 20-25, McDermott loves his defensive players.

3 hours ago, Laughing Coffin said:

Etienne is good, but Barkley on the NYG has shown, once again, that an all-world RB doesn't necessarily change how many games your team wins.  Etienne size wise is also not the type of back I'd want to pair with Singletary.  I want someone that plays at 220lbs, need a inside, short yardage back.  Scottie Phillips Ole Miss would be a good 4th round pick if he falls that far

Also maybe we take a chance on Kareem Hunt.  The NFL has a short memory for talented players

Someone must have done a study showing that 1st round RBs don't move the needle anymore than 4th round RBs (that pan out).     

I guarantee if you make a list of the best RBs in the league, plenty will not have been drafted in the 1st round.    So I am with you.   Carlos Hyde to go with Devin.  or a mid round pick.

Edited by Crazy Legs

First round: Best WR or OL available
Second round: If we got the best WR available we go for OL, if we got OL we go for WR

Searching through the games today I saw Georgia was playing Kentucky and remembered seeing this thread about Swift.

The first play I saw he rips off a 14 yard run. Smooth as can be.

He finished the half with 9 rushes for 81 yards including runs of 23, 20 and 14.

He seems to have size and speed.

I would rather obviously rather have an OT or WR in the first but Swift impressed me in the little I have seen. We'll see what he does in the 2nd half.

1 hour ago, bcw said:

Searching through the games today I saw Georgia was playing Kentucky and remembered seeing this thread about Swift.

The first play I saw he rips off a 14 yard run. Smooth as can be.

He finished the half with 9 rushes for 81 yards including runs of 23, 20 and 14.

He seems to have size and speed.

I would rather obviously rather have an OT or WR in the first but Swift impressed me in the little I have seen. We'll see what he does in the 2nd half.

Chuba Hubbard is a much better RB and more dynamic. He should be a late 1st round early 2nd round pick and would be perfect for Buffalo.

Hubbard has 162 carries for 1094 yards and 13 TD this season.

On 10/18/2019 at 6:31 PM, Laughing Coffin said:

Buffalo will be picking at the earliest 21 st overall, probably 25th or 26th is more likely. Getting a dynamic player like Etienne or Hubbard at that point is not a reach.

I like the talent of Kareem Hunt but he has serious off field issues and wouldn't sign him to be part of this team.

Of course Beane could go WR or RT or an edge rusher in the 1st round as well.