Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
thinwhiteduke

favorite songs/Bands etc

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, jamsim67 said:

I've said the the same thing ... I like what I like

And top 40 has never been a part of what I like

No Top Forty since the early 70's or so.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Top 40 in 70s to early 80s at least had a little more variety  and slight freedom. Today's commercial  stuff  is do blatantly  obviously  cookie cutter mindless drivel. To the point  that half the songs have exactly  the same back beat and are written by a  select few  team of  writers/ producers. Yet  most still don't understand  thats what a full fledged  conspiracy  is. 

I got into goth because  i liked the bass back beat in it. As time went on, I realized I liked most punk ,goth  etc. Because  it was almost all independent.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, thinwhiteduke said:

Top 40 in 70s to early 80s at least had a little more variety  and slight freedom. Today's commercial  stuff  is do blatantly  obviously  cookie cutter mindless drivel. To the point  that half the songs have exactly  the same back beat and are written by a  select few  team of  writers/ producers. Yet  most still don't understand  thats what a full fledged  conspiracy  is. 

I got into goth because  i liked the bass back beat in it. As time went on, I realized I liked most punk ,goth  etc. Because  it was almost all independent.  

Agree as far as that first paragraph.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, thinwhiteduke said:

Top 40 in 70s to early 80s at least had a little more variety  and slight freedom. Today's commercial  stuff  is do blatantly  obviously  cookie cutter mindless drivel. To the point  that half the songs have exactly  the same back beat and are written by a  select few  team of  writers/ producers. Yet  most still don't understand  thats what a full fledged  conspiracy  is. 

I got into goth because  i liked the bass back beat in it. As time went on, I realized I liked most punk ,goth  etc. Because  it was almost all independent.  

Once record companies, and producers get a hold of a band or musician all freedom goes out the window. You sit down, shut up and do as you're told.

If you love the idea of making your own music, then independent is the way to go.

Also, you can tell when a certain style of music has run it's course, when they start using it in commercials

I seriously doubt there's ever been any freedom. Maybe early on a little more, but pretty sure it's always been controlled

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Thebowflexbody said:

Fair enough.  Sure.  I never listen to what the "mainstream" likes.  I consider 99% of that to be garbage.  I know immediately whether or not a song or band has potential in MY MIND.  Usually having a memorable tune helps.  I like actual quality over attitude and posturing and trends.  I consider rap/hip-hop not to be music at all.  I'm more or less a classic rock guy: Beatles, Stones, Who, CCR, Tom Petty, ELO, Eagles, Cars etc.  Music with real staying power.  And yes, I think I have great taste.

Some other bands I like:

Old 97's, The Bottle Rockets, Splitsville, The Soundtrack of Our Lives, Cotton Mather, Ocean Colour Scene, Noel Gallagher, Paul Weller, Wilco, Smithereens, Elvis Costello, Rockpile.  All good stuff.

Buffalo band - https://www.facebook.com/TheFranticFlattops/

 


“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes.

A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production.

Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

 

Twitter: @HKTheResistance

 

HipKat, on *** other h***, is genuine, unapoli***tically nasty, and w**** his hea** on his ******. jc856

I’ll just forward them to Bridgett. comssvet11

Seek help. soflabillsfan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Thebowflexbody said:

Epic sideburns.  LOL

That's not even the song I was looking for.

Check out the history of this band. I thought this was from the 80's, which is when I heard it.

This was a fake band ...

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/25/2019 at 12:03 PM, HipKat said:

This was me when I was hanging at the Cont all the time. Me when I was at my best

1341169739833.jpg

Do you remember this mug? I wasn’t a regular there, but hung out there in the mid 90’s. (I’ll look for better pic,  I always took them)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jc856 said:

Do you remember this mug? I wasn’t a regular there, but hung out there in the mid 90’s. (I’ll look for better pic,  I always took them)

Oops forgot the pic

AEB0A0FC-BED5-4273-AB70-D30F462CECBC.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, jamsim67 said:

Once record companies, and producers get a hold of a band or musician all freedom goes out the window. You sit down, shut up and do as you're told.

If you love the idea of making your own music, then independent is the way to go.

Also, you can tell when a certain style of music has run it's course, when they start using it in commercials

I seriously doubt there's ever been any freedom. Maybe early on a little more, but pretty sure it's always been controlled

 The Cars first 2 albums,  Devo first two albums, B52s first album or two. All great!  After that, too commercial. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, thinwhiteduke said:

 The Cars first 2 albums,  Devo first two albums, B52s first album or two. All great!  After that, too commercial. 

If you don’t mind me asking, how old are you, TWD?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, jc856 said:

If you don’t mind me asking, how old are you, TWD?

54... 21 in 1986. Would see Jane's Addiction  quite a few times at LA clubs before they got big. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, thinwhiteduke said:

54... 21 in 1986. Would see Jane's Addiction  quite a few times at LA clubs before they got big. 

Young punk. 🤣 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, thinwhiteduke said:

 The Cars first 2 albums,  Devo first two albums, B52s first album or two. All great!  After that, too commercial. 

I can usually find something I like by anybody ... Usually, but not always

Lot of bands make a really good album, make some money and realize they can't stand each other and go there own way. It's the bands that keep putting out new albums, same music, different words, and keep touring are the ones that I usually can't stand.

I hate seeing bands that obviously got help in the studio up on stage 20 to 25 years later, sound like shit and look shit making fools of themselves because they just can't do it. Check out that band that did come on Eileen. He cannot carry a note to save his life. And by the way, I hate that song. But that's the music business, just look the part and they do the rest.

It sucks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, thinwhiteduke said:

Booking.Com is using an Adam and the Ants tune for their commercial lol

I wonder if he owns the rights to the song. My guess is he does, and wants the money.

Almost all these groups had help in the studio, and couldn't pull it off live if they had to play their own instruments on stage. it wouldn't be close to the theatrical garbage that was produced in the studio and that's cheating. Watching bands in bars was a lot better, because it wasn't fake.

My favorite is when there are horns in the song, and when they play the song live (not really live), no horns on the stage yet you can still hear the horns. And the kids in the audience never seem to notice as they dance around the stage. lol

Don't get me wrong, there are good musicians and singers out there, but is the public interested in paying to see them?

Adam Ant was pretty awful, but still touring lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, jc856 said:

🤣🤣🤣

Whats funny is that I thought that this song was late 70's, early 80's.

Same with that other crap song "Beach Baby" I think the music business has always pulled a fast one on the record (cd) buying public

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, jamsim67 said:

Whats funny is that I thought that this song was late 70's, early 80's.

Same with that other crap song "Beach Baby" I think the music business has always pulled a fast one on the record (cd) buying public

Not early 80’s, 1974 remember it well. Didn’t like it. Why is it in your memory banks?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, jc856 said:

Not early 80’s, 1974 remember it well. Didn’t like it. Why is it in your memory banks?

I had older brothers and sisters who played what I thought was this song, but it was really Beach Baby. Which was also pretty bad, but better than that song.

The funny thing, "Beach Baby" was written by a couple of English guys, and the band that toured was not even the band (including the singer) that played in the studio. Ah yes, the music business. The band was like, "we want to make a lot of money off this song, but we don't want to do any heavy lifting." And some unscrupulous ass hole said "I think I can help you out." And the rest is history.  lol.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jamsim67 said:

I had older brothers and sisters who played what I thought was this song, but it was really Beach Baby. Which was also pretty bad, but better than that song.

The funny thing, "Beach Baby" was written by a couple of English guys, and the band that toured was not even the band (including the singer) that played in the studio. Ah yes, the music business. The band was like, "we want to make a lot of money off this song, but we don't want to do any heavy lifting." And some unscrupulous ass hole said "I think I can help you out." And the rest is history.  lol.

If you’re looking for the music industry for scruples, well....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, thinwhiteduke said:

I think I can refer to this tune as the first one I was conscious of waiting to play again  and again  on the radio.

“She’s got a ticket to ride” by the Beatles was my first. Of course, I’m an old fuck. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...