Sign in to follow this  
LiterateStylish

ESPN's Barnwell; Not high on allen, but the Bills defense is very good

If Allen improves from his rookie year Buffalo makes the playoffs. A lot of QB's struggle their 1st year and make a jump in play in their 2nd year.

The defense and special teams will be highly ranked this year and keep Buffalo in games. The offense will be more productive this year with the upgrades on the OL and skill position players.

If Allen improves...and the offense improves...it better improve at an astonishingly high level...that’s the only way they are going to the playoffs. Yeah the defense will prob be very good.....who cares...instead of losing 14-3...they’ll probably lose 13-10. I just don’t see this offense going from 14 ppg to 30+ ppg. Fucking John Brown, Cole Beasley, and Frank Gore ain’t no 16 point improvement...no way. And I HIGHLY doubt Allen will take such a drastic next step either.

If Allen improves...and the offense improves...it better improve at an astonishingly high level...that’s the only way they are going to the playoffs. Yeah the defense will prob be very good.....who cares...instead of losing 14-3...they’ll probably lose 13-10. I just don’t see this offense going from 14 ppg to 30+ ppg. Fucking John Brown, Cole Beasley, and Frank Gore ain’t no 16 point improvement...no way. And I HIGHLY doubt Allen will take such a drastic next step either.

30+ are not needed. Only three teams had 30+ last year. With our D haveing 25+ would be great. However, also that we will not get. I think we need 22+ to be competitive with the same def. That could get us in the playoffs. one more TD per game. Considering that we will field at least a somewhat professional Offense with an actual Offense Line, this is at least possible. But Allen needs to be able to hit the broad side of a barn, especially after identifying which barn to throw at. lets see...

30+ are not needed. Only three teams had 30+ last year. With our D haveing 25+ would be great. However, also that we will not get. I think we need 22+ to be competitive with the same def. That could get us in the playoffs. one more TD per game. Considering that we will field at least a somewhat professional Offense with an actual Offense Line, this is at least possible. But Allen needs to be able to hit the broad side of a barn, especially after identifying which barn to throw at. lets see...

This is an offense based league.

Period.

The top 5 scoring teams last season were the best 5 teams in the NFL.

2 of the top 4 were in the Super Bowl.

...it better improve at an astonishingly high level...

The Bills will need a stud receiver in order for that to happen. For now we some midgets, a CFL game breaker and some upgraded models of last season's misfit toys. :niterider

I am no expert, but in most games I have watched, the team thats scores the most tends to be declared the winner.

The Bills will need a stud receiver in order for that to happen. For now we some midgets, a CFL game breaker and some upgraded models of last season's misfit toys. :niterider

If they can run the ball consistently, it will go along way in helping to open up the passing game.

This is an offense based league.

Period.

The top 5 scoring teams last season were the best 5 teams in the NFL.

2 of the top 4 were in the Super Bowl.

I agree. But what options do we have? We can either tear down everything and wait that we draft an Aaron Rodgers. Or why try to ride our premier defense and try to get the offense to a top 15 or optimally a top 10 offense. We will definitely not have a top 10 passing offense (we have a pretty similar assessment of Allen, although I am less provocative with it than you) but maybe we can get a top 10 overall offense with a heavy dose of running from both the RBs and QB.

This will not win us a Super Bowl, but not trying is also not an option ...

If Zay Jones or Robert Foster don't develop into better WR's than Beane can trade up in the 2020 draft to select a WR. The 2020 is a very WR top heavy draft.

If Zay Jones or Robert Foster don't develop into better WR's than Beane can trade up in the 2020 draft to select a WR. The 2020 is a very WR top heavy draft.

How did trading up for a WR in a loaded WR draft work out for us last time?

I think we'd all like to see Jerry Jeudy on this roster, but I hope we don't have him because if we do we are picking top 5

I think we'd all like to see Jerry Jeudy on this roster, but I hope we don't have him because if we do we are picking top 5

Thomas Dimitroff traded up in the 2011 draft to acquire Julio Jones to give Matt Ryan a #1 WR. If Beane believes in Jerry Jeudy than I have no problem trading up to get him. Just because Sammy Watkins didn't work out because he was injury-prone doesn't mean Jerry Jeudy can't work out.

Matt Ryan is a good QB, but the Falcons offense was made more explosive when they added Julio Jones. Josh Allen may never be a pure pocket passer that Ryan is, but Allen can improve as a pocket passer. Getting him a #1 WR in a WR deep draft would help immensely in his development. (assuming that Jones or Foster don't develop into a #1 WR)

If Buffalo finishes with 9 or 10 wins and makes the playoffs I have no issues with Beane trading up to get a playmaking WR if he thinks that is what Buffalo needs to take it to the next level as a franchise and be a perennial playoff team in the AFC.

Thomas Dimitroff traded up in the 2011 draft to acquire Julio Jones to give Matt Ryan a #1 WR. If Beane believes in Jerry Jeudy than I have no problem trading up to get him. Just because Sammy Watkins didn't work out because he was injury-prone doesn't mean Jerry Jeudy can't work out.

Matt Ryan is a good QB, but the Falcons offense was made more explosive when they added Julio Jones. Josh Allen may never be a pure pocket passer that Ryan is, but Allen can improve as a pocket passer. Getting him a #1 WR in a WR deep draft would help immensely in his development. (assuming that Jones or Foster don't develop into a #1 WR)

If Buffalo finishes with 9 or 10 wins and makes the playoffs I have no issues with Beane trading up to get a playmaking WR if he thinks that is what Buffalo needs to take it to the next level as a franchise and be a perennial playoff team in the AFC.

Oh yes, the Falcons.

Great example to model after.

All those Super Bowl trophies they have.

Oh yes, the Falcons.

The Falcons are a couple of bad decision away from winning the Super Bowl. Being conservative when they were on the Patriots 22nd yard line and running the ball on 2nd and 3rd down would have put them in the position to kick a makeable field goal and put the game out of reach.

The Falcons have been a much more successful franchise than Buffalo has been the past 10 years.

The Falcons are a couple of bad decision away from winning the Super Bowl.

The Bills are one Dalton pass away from not making the playoffs.

So what?

Being conservative when they were on the Patriots 22nd yard line and running the ball on 2nd and 3rd down would have put them in the position to kick a makeable field goal and put the game out of reach.

The Falcons have been a much more successful franchise than Buffalo has been the past 10 years.

Forgot to mention, Julio Jones had a whole 4 receptions in that game.

The Bills are one Dalton pass away from not making the playoffs.

So what?

Forgot to mention, Julio Jones had a whole 4 receptions in that game.

Jones had 4 receptions for 87 yards. Bill Belichick is one of the best coaches at game planning and scheming to take away your best player on offense, especially when he has 2 weeks to prepare.

Julio Jones is a playmaker WR, a game-changer. Ever team in the NFL would like to have him on their respective rosters. Jones is a 9-time pro bowl player, a 2 time 1st team all pro. and 2 time 2nd team all pro.

True about the trade up. But if Detroit had followed that philosophy they'd have never drafted Calvin Johnson after wasting picks on Roy Williams and Mike Williams and Charles Rogers.

Jones had 4 receptions for 87 yards. Bill Belichick is one of the best coaches at game planning and scheming to take away your best player on offense, especially when he has 2 weeks to prepare.

Julio Jones is a playmaker WR, a game-changer. Ever team in the NFL would like to have him on their respective rosters. Jones is a 9-time pro bowl player, a 2 time 1st team all pro. and 2 time 2nd team all pro.

Lol I love when Jungle spends a whole post specifying facts everyone knows.

Water is wet. There is water in the ocean. Boats also go in the ocean. Captains of boats are on the boats. Sometimes water makes you wet because it is wet. Water is wet.

Lmao.

True about the trade up. But if Detroit had followed that philosophy they'd have never drafted Calvin Johnson after wasting picks on Roy Williams and Mike Williams and Charles Rogers.

How many championships (or even playoffs) did Calvin Johnson win for Detroit?

The teams with good defenses win too you know. But you need an offense that can bully teams in key moments of the game. Versatile TE, offensive line and running game are all key factors for doing that. That’s were we added decent value and depth this offseason.

How many championships (or even playoffs) did Calvin Johnson win for Detroit?

Why you don’t invest big money in WRs

Josh Allen seems much more comfortable throwing down field than short, timing patterns at this point due of experience and accuracy.

That should improve with time but until then I like the plan of spreading the ball around and hitting the open man, rather than forcing it to one guy 12 times a game.

Defenses eat young qb's alive when they are going to someone too frequently. Because of this I'm not sure Josh Allen could properly utilize a go to wr.

Oh yes, the Falcons.

Ha yeah all those playoff appearances must suck. Julio was a terrible pick. They should have drafted Alex Mack like Cleveland did.

Lol I love when Jungle spends a whole post specifying facts everyone knows.

Water is wet. There is water in the ocean. Boats also go in the ocean. Captains of boats are on the boats. Sometimes water makes you wet because it is wet. Water is wet.

Lmao.

You were trying to spin Julio Jones super bowl stats to a negative when Bill Belichick game planned to stop him. There is context to stat, they are not black and white, unless you are box score scouting and trying to push your agenda.

Ha yeah all those playoff appearances must suck. Julio was a terrible pick. They should have drafted Alex Mack like Cleveland did.

Considering Atlanta has as many rings as Cleveland...