Sign in to follow this  
junglesouljah

No change, no deal in offing for Texans franchise player Jadeveon Clowney - ( Should Buffalo trade for Clowney? )

Any potential trade for Jadeveon Clowney would have to include a DE like Shaq Lawson and a 2020 2nd round pick, possible 2021 2nd round conditional pick. Clowney is on a one year $15.967 million franchise tender, and it looks like the Texans don't want to commit to him long term so they have very little leverage in a trade.

No change, no deal in offing for Texans franchise player Jadeveon Clowney

Aaron Wilson , Houston Chronicle July 9, 2019

Comments

Houston Texans outside linebacker Jadeveon Clowney (90) in action against the Washington Redskins in an NFL game, Sunday, November 18, 2018 in Landover, Md. (AP Photo/Daniel Kucin Jr.)

Photo: Daniel Kucin Jr./Associated Press

The status quo and stalemate between the Texans and unsigned Pro Bowl outside linebacker-defensive end Jadeveon Clowney remains unchanged and unwavering heading into an NFL deadline next Monday afternoon.

The Texans and Clowney are not expected to reach a last-minute contract extension prior to the deadline for NFL teams to sign franchise players to new deals, according to league sources not authorized to speak publicly.

That means that Clowney, one of the Texans' top defensive players, will play this season under a $15.967 million franchise tender.

The former top overall pick from South Carolina isn't expected to sign the tender anytime soon and is expected to miss at least a major portion of, if not all of training camp. Clowney is expected to report prior to the regular season when he is due weekly $939,235 game checks.

Under NFL collective bargaining agreement rules governing franchise players, they aren't required to report for offseason activities, training camp or games until they sign the tender.

Clowney has been training away from the team with NBA superstar LeBron James' trainer, David Alexander, and appears to be in excellent shape based on his workout videos he has posted on social media.

Being in shape and being in football shape are vastly different things, though.

"The thing about football is the adage has been you work with the guys who are here," Texans defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel said. "And so that's who you work with because they might be the guys you have to play with, so you better get them as good as you can get them and then if a guy like Clowney comes back, see where he is.

"We know what he can do when he's on the top of his game. We work with the guys we have here and hopefully they can get better so if somewhere down the road they have to play in a game they can perform at a high level."

The cost for elite pass rushers and run-stoppers keeps going up, including a six-year, $141 million deal for the Chicago Bears' Khalil Mack and a six-year, $135 million contract for Los Angeles Rams defensive tackle Aaron Donald, the NFL Defensive Player of the Year. The most recent deals for top pass rushers include Dallas Cowboys defensive end DeMarcus Lawrence's five-year, $105 million contract that includes $65 million guaranteed, a $25 million signing bonus and an average of $21 million per year and Detroit Lions defensive end Trey Flowers' five-year, $90 million contract that includes $56 million guaranteed.

"Of course, I want to come back," Clowney said when asked at the end of the season about the franchise tag. "I promise to the Texans and whoever else is watching that I'm going to be a much better, improved player next season. I haven't been thinking about a contract.

"If I come back and play well like I know I'm going to, contract will take care of itself. I'm going to work on my craft and work on my game. That's what I'm worrying about."

Clowney has been named to three consecutive Pro Bowls.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/texans/article/No-deal-in-offing-for-Texans-Jadeveon-Clowney-14083551.php

I would argue that the Texans leverage comes from a combination of having a quality player that multiple teams could be in on.

Though it was a year earlier and a better version of Clowney we saw something similar play out with Mack. Between the Mack trade and the Clark trade at the draft the market is established for both compensation to the team for a trade and compensation to the player to sign long term.

Any potential trade involving Clowney will at a minimum have to include a 1st round pick and involve signing Clowney long term with at least 50 million guaranteed

We are in great cap shape. But I would be hesitant to sign high priced players on a position of strength. WHile DE might not be a position of strength, the overall D is. So only high priced toys on O.

And in ~2 years quite a few of our cheap draft picks who perform very well, will be needed to be resigned. So IMO no need to throw money at Clowney now.

I'd love to have him, but he's not going to propel this team to the next level. That's all I need to know, I'm not giving up a pick and a huge payday for him.

I would have gone in on Mack, a REAL difference maker, but not at 2 1st round picks and 140M. The contract is one thing, but you have to leverage 1st round picks for low cost, high level play for 4-5 years to win.

He's going to eat a lot of cap space.

I'd rather use it on offense.

Can he score touchdowns?

No?

Pass...

The New York Giants beat the Patriots in the super bowl in 2007 and 2011 because they limited the Patriots offense, and hit Brady.

Of course, you want to score points, but you also have to get in Brady's face, make him feel uncomfortable and limit the production of the Patriots offense.

The New York Giants beat the Patriots in the super bowl in 2007 and 2011 because they limited the Patriots offense, and hit Brady.

Of course, you want to score points, but you also have to get in Brady's face, make him feel uncomfortable and limit the production of the Patriots offense.

Agreed. We tried this cute experiment a few years...with Mario Williams...we had arguably the best DL in the fucking league with him, Kyle, Jerry, and Marcel.....and we.still.couldnt.beat.the.pats. And we.still.sucked. If I’m correct we lost to pats a few times in that era with retarded scores like 13-6 or 17-10. Man I would trade a shitty offense for a shitty defense 1000% of the time.

I'd love to have him, but he's not going to propel this team to the next level. That's all I need to know, I'm not giving up a pick and a huge payday for him.

I would have gone in on Mack, a REAL difference maker, but not at 2 1st round picks and 140M. The contract is one thing, but you have to leverage 1st round picks for low cost, high level play for 4-5 years to win.

Word. At this point I'd rather take a chance on a guy in next year's draft. :niterider

DE is not enough of a need to be throwing away draft picks and huge chunks of cap space.

D will be very good this year with or without him.

Well said.

I like Trent Murphy and believe he should be starting at LDE, but Clowney is a better DE than Murphy. Clowney is also better than Shaq Lawson.

Having Murphy and Clowney rotating at DE makes this defense much better.

You have to gameplan to stop Clowney in both the running and passing game. You can also move him inside to DT in Nascar packages on 3rd down.

If the trade doesn't materialize look for Beane to draft a DE in the 2nd or 3rd round next year.

i agree

if the texans want to take a sweatheart deal to offload some salary, then great. you could have worse problems than three starting caliber DE's. im sure opie and the staff would love to make packages to get all three on the field

but if they gotta give up a lot, then i agree that we have other needs that could better benefit from a big investment

i agree

if the texans want to take a sweatheart deal to offload some salary, then great. you could have worse problems than three starting caliber DE's. im sure opie and the staff would love to make packages to get all three on the field

but if they gotta give up a lot, then i agree that we have other needs that could better benefit from a big investment

I wouldn't trade a 1st round pick, in 2020 or a future 1st round pick. I would trade Shaq Lawson and 2nd or 3rd round pick if Beane is ok with giving a 6 yrs, $100,117,848 contract, which would average to $16,686,308 a season according to spotrac.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/houston-texans/jadeveon-clowney-14410/market-value/

The window to sign players is when Josh Allen is on his "cheap" rookie contract before you have to pay him the big money on his 2nd contract. Kansas City and Chicago have done the same thing to surround their young QB's with talent on offense and defense.

This does not work. You site two examples and sure, the Giants played great defensively in both Super Bowls. But building and maintaining a defense that can do those things to Brady is costly, easily derailed by injury, and also sometimes just doesn't work.

Meanwhile, scoring more points would not only increase our ability to beat New England, but also every other team we face. This teams problem is not defense. The defense was good last year and I think it could be better this year. Invest the money and resources where we are weak and that's offense.

If the Bills want to really improve by trading resources, they should try to trade for a proven, modern and efficient offensive play caller. We haven't had one in forever. If you get the new Warren Sharp book, which I highly recommend you do, you'll see it aptly points out area after area where Buffalo just uses out-dated philosophies and techniques.

In short, what we would need to give for Clowney, who I don't even think is that great of a pass rusher and is also a HUGE risk to get lazy, would pay little dividends for us. On the other hand, I'll bet we could find an offensive player that would help us twice as much for less than half the cost if they really wanted to.

This does not work. You site two examples and sure, the Giants played great defensively in both Super Bowls. But building and maintaining a defense that can do those things to Brady is costly, easily derailed by injury, and also sometimes just doesn't work.

Meanwhile, scoring more points would not only increase our ability to beat New England, but also every other team we face. This teams problem is not defense. The defense was good last year and I think it could be better this year. Invest the money and resources where we are weak and that's offense.

If the Bills want to really improve by trading resources, they should try to trade for a proven, modern and efficient offensive play caller. We haven't had one in forever. If you get the new Warren Sharp book, which I highly recommend you do, you'll see it aptly points out area after area where Buffalo just uses out-dated philosophies and techniques.

In short, what we would need to give for Clowney, who I don't even think is that great of a pass rusher and is also a HUGE risk to get lazy, would pay little dividends for us. On the other hand, I'll bet we could find an offensive player that would help us twice as much for less than half the cost if they really wanted to.

Houston got rid of it's GM, it seems like they don't want to commit to Clowney longterm and there is a short window where they can trade Clowney with the franchise tag on him. I don't think the trade will happen, but I put out the hypothetical trade to see peoples opinions of him and improve the DE position on the Bills. I will disagree with you on Clowney not being a good pass rush rusher, but I will agree that he would be expensive in terms of the contract you will have to sign him to.

Brain Daboll comes from New England where he was taught the Erhardt-Perkins offensive and Buffalo uses the Erhardt-Perkins offensive. Near the end of the season last year Buffalo was using 4 and 5 WR sets in a pass-centric offense. I don't know what out-dated philosophies and techniques that Warren Sharp claims Buffalo is using if Daboll uses the same offensive system that New England uses and that Daboll opened up the playbook incorporated the passing game in the offense as Allen got more comfortable.

Well said.

In addition to those 2 how about Seattle going to 2 and winning 1 SB. How about Denver's SB win. And what about the Ravens? All teams that were lead to the SB by their defense. More so than that the Bills are in a position with a rookie pay scale QB to add salary now while their QB is cheap. This means when guys with all pro ability may come available you get them because you will never have a team as talented as one with a rookie salary qb.

There are certainly NFL teams in worse shape at the defensive end position than the Buffalo Bills. Both Trent Murphy and Jerry Hughes are effective players off the edge and Shaq Lawson is a solid player to bring in to spell either guy.

While Murphy and Hughes are good players, though, Clowney would be an upgrade over either and give the Bills a truly scary blend of athleticism up front on defense.

Buffalo selected defensive tackle Ed Oliver, a physical marvel at the position, in the first round of the 2019 draft. Putting Clowney alongside Oliver on the defensive line would be a nightmare for opposing offenses trying to keep up with that level of speed and explosiveness, and for that reason General Manager Beane picked up the phone decided a discussion was required from Buffalo – the outcome of that conversation is unknown, but it would seem that the Bills are definitely doing their due diligence in the matter.

The Bills adding Clowney would be a move that could truly take the Buffalo defense to an elite level.

https://www.nflchatter.com/2019/07/16/6-teams-show-strong-interest-in-texans-star/4/