Sign in to follow this  
junglesouljah

Buffalo Bills targeting Houston’s Ed Oliver at No. 9 overall, says B/R’s Matt Miller

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2019/04/buffalo-bills-targeting-houstons-ed-oliver-at-no-9-overall-says-brs-matt-miller.html

Buffalo Bills targeting Houston’s Ed Oliver at No. 9 overall, says B/R’s Matt Miller

Today 11:19 AM

AP Photo

AP Photo

Comment

shares

By Ryan Talbot | rtalbot@nyup.com

Who will the Buffalo Bills select at No. 9 in the 2019 NFL Draft? That’s the million dollar question with less than one week remaining until the start of the draft.

Bills GM Brandon Beane has not tipped his hand and has continually said that Buffalo will take the best player available. That could lead Buffalo in multiple directions, but Bleacher Report’s Matt Miller is hearing that the Bills are targeting Houston defensive tackle Ed Oliver with their No. 9 pick.

Here is what Miller said in his scouting notebook article.

"The Buffalo Bills have been linked to the trenches in this draft process, and the latest buzz has them targeting Houston's Ed Oliver at No. 9 overall.

The Bills and head coach Sean McDermott want an interior pass-rusher on defense and not the big space-eaters they have now. Oliver's ability to penetrate and shoot gaps makes him a perfect fit in the team's 4-3 scheme."

The Buffalo Bills have been linked to the trenches in this draft process, and the latest buzz has them targeting Houston’s Ed Oliver at No. 9 overall.

The Bills and head coach Sean McDermott want an interior pass-rusher on defense and not the big space-eaters they have now. Oliver’s ability to penetrate and shoot gaps makes him a perfect fit in the team’s 4-3 scheme.

Oliver is arguably a top-five player in this year’s draft class. Falling to No. 9 is far from a guarantee despite it occurring in multiple mock drafts, but it’s possible based on the needs of teams ahead of Buffalo.

false

2019 NFL Draft: Mel Kiper and Todd McShay find multiple starters for Buffalo Bills in three-round mock

The ESPN draft experts find Kyle Williams' replacement while also getting Josh Allen help .

Oliver was a disruptive force in his three seasons at Houston. He accounted for 192 total tackles (122 solo), 13.5 sacks and 53 tackles for loss. He also recorded 11 passes defensed and five forced fumbles with the Cougars.

As pointed out by Miller, Oliver would give Buffalo an interior-pass rush. Star Lotulelei, Harrison Phillips and Jordan Phillips are all quality defensive tackles, but they lack pass-rush ability.

false

Buffalo Bills 2019 NFL Draft: Pros, cons for Montez Sweat at No. 9 - How he fits

Mississippi State EDGE Montez Sweat is one of the top-ranked pass rushers in the 2019 NFL Draft.

Shocking news. Breaking news.

PS Chad Reuter has us picking WR Kelvin Harmon in the 3rd round!

Shocking news. Breaking news.

PS Chad Reuter has us picking WR Kelvin Harmon in the 3rd round!

Dont mock Jungle, the dude is legit like you. However...yes, lol....the BREAKING nature means that if Daryl is still alive and healthy(is he?!?), he should be posting it and relieve the rest of us. It was his trademark before his demise.

I said Oliver was going to be the pick, last September. Mainly, because I knew it would drive Sean nuts. But, all kidding aside, I don't care who the Bills draft as long as he is a hit.

Oliver is certainly the front runner for us at 9, but the question is will he be there for us to take him.

Hopefully he makes it to us.

I said Oliver was going to be the pick, last September. Mainly, because I knew it would drive Sean nuts. But, all kidding aside, I don't care who the Bills draft as long as he is a hit.

Beane has to get a 3 tech DT to replace Kyle Williams. I don't care if it's in the 1st round or 2nd round, but obviously, the more talented player will be available in the 1st round.

If Beane goes DT in the 1st round there will be a lot of WR's and TE to choose from in the 2nd round at 40th overall.

Beane has to get a 3 tech DT to replace Kyle Williams. I don't care if it's in the 1st round or 2nd round, but obviously, the more talented player will be available in the 1st round.

If Beane goes DT in the 1st round there will be a lot of WR's and TE to choose from in the 2nd round at 40th overall.

I agree that 3 tech DT seems like something Beaner cant swing and miss on here. I like that you acknowledge the depth of them in this draft gives him at least a chance to maybe marshall his resources and trade back for one in a better spot in the 2nd, or even back into the first...after possibly making the dreams of seandelevan and his minions come true by grabbing Hock.

Even though Nuke busts my chops, I'll give the guy his due, he's been consistent on Oliver. Being a fan of names, I sometimes enjoy guys who have a first name for a last name. Sometimes life is symbollic, so who knows. The pick wouldnt have the same effect on me as it would on Sean, but I get that he is ready to feel St Elmo's Fire...NOW. I've said in the past Dallas had a good model, building that line, and still selecting OL in the 1st round, and then wreaking havoc. But if Sean sees Hock as St Elmo's Fire, who can blame him for wanting him at 9? Beaner has the intestinal fortitude to trade back up into the first, and Lit has already posted about how many picks(I trhink from the 3rd and later?) are busts...so Ideally Beano goes bonzo again with 2 firsts(no, I dont mean givingup next year's, as someone suggested). Get 'er done, Beano!

(Time for one of our man Meathead's polls? About what the Bills should do with #9)

I have no problem with Oliver. My fear is that they will trade up for him and this will become a Sammy Watkins situation all over again...trading up for a player at a position that is loaded in the draft.

I'm far from an expert but I would be happy (if we must go defense) with Oliver or Wilkins at 9.

B13, I wouldn't trade up to get anybody. If anything, I would trade down. But, with all the teams rumored to be looking to trade down, I'm afraid the value might not be there. BPA, the Bills need a solid hit here.