Because it was widely reported that he wasn't buying in. Do you think they move him for pennies on the dollar if he's playing well and fitting into what McD wants? Of course not.

We save some now, but more later, and we also get a draft pick. That's a win in my book for a guy that wasn't living up to his contract and had already been suspended and was showing up late for meetings/practice/games.

I am generally very skeptical of the Bills and how they operate, and I supported Dareus longer than most, but I think it became apparent that he wasn't part of this team's plans due to numerous things I've already stated. I thought we dealt Sammy when he had low value as well and criticized the move. I haven't been impressed with Beane whatsoever, but I can't find much to gripe over with what they did im regards to Marcel.

You’re literally just making stuff up.

Show me the numerous reports that he didn’t buy in. Show me the sources.

Who said he wasn’t living up to his contract? He has played like a top 5 DT and he got top 5 DT money. That’s playing up to your contract. Obviously Jax thought he was too because they didnt even try to restructure it.

He was late for 1 pre-season game. Not “meetings/practices/games”.

We save VERY LITTLE now and later.

Stop making things up.

96769446_10102201393347587_5716922665810264064_n.jpg

Wrong.

8th highest paid defensive player in the nfl...he is massively over paid.

I love dareus, i think he is a great player(not top 10), i hated the timing of the trade and still don't understand the trade, but to say his contract isn't bloated is irresponsible.

he played 1 regular season game all year with a 60% or greater snap count. 2 sacks on the season despite playing with the SACKSONVILLE line.

played a very good game against ne, made a good play against bills, but he needs to put it all together, commit and get in top shape to be worth anywhere near his contract particularly to account for 10% of a team's cap

Nobody misses Dareus besides yourself.

The compensation was not good, and we ditched him when his value was about as low as it could have been, but in the end it is still a positive unloading his contract and his "issues".

The team obviously bought into McD and his culture, and they decided Dareus didn't fit into that, so it made sense...even though the value and timing was not good.

In the end, everyone wins by this move...even if we could've done better.

Move on

oh the bills missed him badly, timing was bad for the trade...

but at that contract size and his lack of commitment made it tough for him in buffalo. he probably needed the change but he was always a very good player with the bills

Says who?

Most of what you said is unproven conjecture and the rest is flat wrong.

Who said Dareus didn’t buy into the culture?

Who said we win by this move?

Who said we save by unloading his cap space? (We save very little)

Much of what you say is also unproven conjecture.

8th highest paid defensive player in the nfl...he is massively over paid.

No, he's not.

He has played like a top 5 DT and he got top 8 DT money. That’s playing up to your contract. Obviously Jax thought he was too because they didnt even try to restructure it.

I love dareus, i think he is a great player(not top 10)

Then you're just flat wrong.

No, he's not.

He has played like a top 5 DT and he got top 8 DT money. That’s playing up to your contract. Obviously Jax thought he was too because they didnt even try to restructure it.

Then you're just flat wrong.

2 sacks and 54 percent of snaps proves me right. and no he was 8th highest paid defensive player last year. wrong again

top 10 talent, maybe, but doesn't play up to it

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/photos/nfls-10-highest-paid-defensive-players-jj-watt-photos-mario-williams-patrick-peterson-richard-sherman/yu0tx08l30v81a3r1duclq42u/slide/486699

from march 2017, so maybe he is only top 10 now...

2 sacks

DT's in a rotational 1 gap 4-3 are not designed to get a lot of sacks.

Are yous serious?

and 54 percent of snaps proves me right

Uh, no.

That's a rotational DL.

McDermott has done that with elite talents (julius peppers)

top 10 talent, maybe, but doesn't play up to it

Yes, he does.

You just don't know what you're seeing.

You're a casual fan trying to play scout but you don't have the knowledge to do so (evident by your sack remark and snap count).

I really don't know why people waste their time challenging me.

It's pathetic.

Are yous serious?

Uh, no.

That's a rotational DL.

Yes, he does.

You're a casual fan trying to play scout but you don't have the knowledge to do so (evident by your sack remark and snap count).

It's pathetic.

Challenging you? Lol. Someone is taking this way too seriously. It's called discussion, and you obviously have trouble with it.

I guess since you used to have some type of football role, you feel insulted when someone doesn't agree with you're opinion...as if what anyone says is always right (LOLx2).

Dareus had much more production including a double digit sack season before he got his current contract. If he was worth it, he not only wouldn't have been dealt, but he would have brought back something better than the mid to late round pick we got back.

This move was not controversial whatsoever, except for someone like yourself who believes they know better. I'll trust the majority of experts, Bills fans, and our front office over some internet know it all that can't even post without talking down to others any day of the week.

/thread

Are yous serious?

Uh, no.

That's a rotational DL.

Yes, he does.

It's pathetic.

umm...peppers never played with mcdermott, so cool example

rotational dl? yet guys like jackson, atkins, mccoy all play over 75% of snaps. 54% is low for a player you are claiming is a top 10 defensive player in the league. the best players in the league, rotational d line or not, play near 70% or above. Kyle williams played 68% of snaps, even at his age, as an example. i think dareus SHOULD be playing closer to that and he probably needs to get in the condition to play in the high 60% at least(like star and kawann in carolina).

second, he plays both 3 tech and nose with the jags, so yes 3 tech should be getting sacks like the names above and understand why he wouldn't be expected to be double digits every year, but 2013/2014 he was able to get those sack number in a similar scenario

at the end of the day, he has not played like a top 10 defensive player in the nfl despite the talent to potentially be a top 10 talent. not one GM in the NFL would take him in the top 10 defensive players.

rotational dl? yet guys like jackson, atkins, mccoy all play over 75% of snaps.

They don't play in a rotational system.

The system is a 1 gap rotational 4-3.

He is not a rotational DL -- he is in a rotational SYSTEM.

54% is low for a player you are claiming is a top 10 defensive player in the league. the best players in the league, rotational d line or not, play near 70% or above.

Again, they don't play in a rotational system.

second, he plays both 3 tech and nose with the jags

Yep, different system with different assignments.

Starting to see a pattern here?

so yes 3 tech should be getting sacks like the names above and understand why he wouldn't be expected to be double digits every year, but 2013/2014 he was able to get those sack number in a similar scenario

Yes and No.

It was a similar scenario, but Schwartz defenses puts a lot of pressure on offenses from the edge, which leaves 1 on 1 opportunities for DT's in the middle. It also pushes the QB up into the pocket, which creates more sack opportunies for middle guys.

at the end of the day, he has not played like a top 10 defensive player in the nfl despite the talent to potentially be a top 10 talent. not one GM in the NFL would take him in the top 10 defensive players.

I disagree, but arguing with you is like talking to a brick wall, so if you want the last word here is your chance. I wont respond...

This move was not controversial whatsoever, except for someone like yourself who believes they know better. I'll trust the majority of experts, Bills fans, and our front office over some internet know it all that can't even post without talking down to others any day of the week.

The experts?

You mean like writers?

Apparently you haven't been paying attention to multiple articles that have been posted on this forumq questioning the trade and showing how bad Buffalo's rush defense was after he left and how much better it become in Jacksonville when he showed up.

Perhaps read those?

Except we weren’t in cap hell and the trade BARELY helped our cap.

Well we certainly aren't swimming in available cash, but it's true that we have a little wiggle room. The problem is that we have sooooo many holes to fill on this team. Expect other cap casualties.

As for helping our cap, you are correct in that there is little immediate relief, but moreso longterm.

"I am alarmed at the subtle invasion of professional football, which is gaining preeminence over baseball. It's unthinkable."

- Branch Rickey (August 20, 1959)

"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit. The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

- Marcus Aurelius