LiterateStylish

Bills tried to trade up to #1 to take Watkins - Houston said no

Wow -- they were willing to take Sammy Watkins #1 overall? Jeez. Jim Monos - Bills director of player personnel confirmed it.

He also said: "If you told me in January, that we would have gotten Kouandjo in the 2nd round ... I wouldn't have believed it".

Full Video: http://www.buffalobills.com/video/videos/Bills-Focus-Inside-Buffalos-Draft-Room/b37321a3-5a95-4c80-b662-46ed9aa57696?campaign=fb_buf_video

Edited by LiterateStylish

96769446_10102201393347587_5716922665810264064_n.jpg

If you watch the video it sounds like they were just doing their due diligence with Houston. I don't think they were serious about moving there unless they could do it for roughly the same price they paid the Browns. And, as microscopes said, they were also concerned about JAX taking Watkins, which shows you why they made the call.

It doesn't sound like this was ever a serious consideration, though.

Trade up into the top 5 and select an elite player every other year.

Picking Lee Evans', Maybins, and the like year after year is great, but if you want to be a great team you need great players.

And what's with the "laughingstock of the league" horse shit? Who cares what pundits think of what we did? We generally get good draft grades, and we are fucking awful.

The trade up for Watkins is, literally, the best and most positive thing we've done in decades.

Calm down guys, he was just looking to see what value was there. I highly doubt he really thought he would need to move to #1 to get him. #3 maybe, but absolutely no reason to move to #1 for Watkins. He was just seeing what the value was and if it was worth it.

Regarding K, I wouldn't be surprised if they had him rated above Lewan. You know that Clowney hit from a year ago? He schooled Lewan all that day and from several other games I watched ... I thought he wasn't all that good.

The two offensive lineman we got really, really give me goosebumps.

Listening to Whaley speak, it seems they made offers to move back into the second - and from the questioning, specifically to take a RB. From the way things fell my guess is that they wanted Carlos Hyde but one way or the other, it indicates to me their interest in Brown is to become a starter. Sooner, more than later.

<there used to be some sarcastic crap aimed at NYJunc here. >

birthdays and Christmas are just a liberal plot to redistribute wealth. Be a good Republican and refuse to participate.

Trade up into the top 5 and select an elite player every other year.

Picking Lee Evans', Maybins, and the like year after year is great, but if you want to be a great team you need great players.

And what's with the "laughingstock of the league" horse shit? Who cares what pundits think of what we did? We generally get good draft grades, and we are fucking awful.

The trade up for Watkins is, literally, the best and most positive thing we've done in decades.

Sup Trip, long time. I agree 100%, we didn't give up anything this year. Idk why everyone is pissy about this move. If Whaley feels like we need to get back into the first next year, he'll make it happen. Helluva lot of pressure on EJ, but the folks who see him everyday think he's up to the challenge.

Let's go Buffalo!

Diehard BillGator, Best of both worlds...

Florida Gators 2006 & 2007 NCAA Basketball and 2006 & 2008 BCS National Champions, Program dominance never before seen...

billswallpaper.jpg

Big ups and much respect to Millertime27

wow, that would have hurt

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My Adopt A Bill is Aaron Willams.

If we traded to #1 and passed on Clowney I'd have died. I'm not going to watch the video, what were the terms discussed?

xfnjfd.jpg

Mamas don't let your babies grow up to be Bills fans

Regarding K, I wouldn't be surprised if they had him rated above Lewan. You know that Clowney hit from a year ago? He schooled Lewan all that day and from several other games I watched ... I thought he wasn't all that good.

The two offensive lineman we got really, really give me goosebumps.

Listening to Whaley speak, it seems they made offers to move back into the second - and from the questioning, specifically to take a RB. From the way things fell my guess is that they wanted Carlos Hyde but one way or the other, it indicates to me their interest in Brown is to become a starter. Sooner, more than later.

I think in another interview they even said Hyde was the target when they were trying to move back up. Maybe Kelvin Fisher let it slip in the WGR interview (Very Good Listen).

I'm glad they didn't have to move up to #1, that would have cost a pretty penny. The video is pretty cool, they obviously were very excited to get Sammy. They're also pretty high on the other guys they got.

Like Triple P said, who the hell cares what "draft experts" say? How many years in the last 8 have people said, great Bills draft, this is the year they turn it around? Not all the time, but a handful of times and it's never panned out.

Terry Pegula talking about Rex Ryan

"This guy right here tells his realtor, 'Where does the most snow fall in the area? I want to live there.' How Buffalo is that?"

When I first read this, I wanted to say we'll have to wait and see. Then I thought about the last decade and a half and realized, the bar has been set pretty low.

Ed Oliver is my adopt-a-Bill

Their fear was that #3 was going to take him and they knew St Louis was going with Robinson at 2. So yeah, they were very serious about moving to #1.

While you're right! It's kind of a moot point!! Calling and asking the price does not mean that Doug was willing to pull the trigger at to steep of a price, hence the reason the never did.

!!! COME ON YOU SPURS !!!

dempsey-ap-670.jpg?w=670&h=350

we are a laughing stock for having the balls to get one of the 4 elite players in this draft ?? the 1st time he takes one 80 yards to the house all of this will be forgotten, and that shouldn't take him very long

we are a laughing stock for having the balls to get one of the 4 elite players in this draft ?? the 1st time he takes one 80 yards to the house all of this will be forgotten, and that shouldn't take him very long

Nailed it.

Can't wait to see this kid play. Crazy that the kid is only 20 years old and performing at a level he is. Can you imagine a talent like him in his prime? I am beyond excited to see him play football.

Watkins was #1 on their board so if Houston did trade with them, he was the pick all along.

"Success is not to be pursued; it is to be attracted by the person we become."

we are a laughing stock for having the balls to get one of the 4 elite players in this draft ??

THANK YOU!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm equally fascinated by, AND indifferent to, this entire post.

http://www.cvillebillsbackers.com

Central Virginia's Home of the Buffalo Bills Backers

<br>

http://www.cvillebillsbackers.com

Yeah that's what cracks me up. Every analysts said he will be a stud. Yet when the Bills picked him same analysts claimed it was terrible because WR's taken in the top 10 usually fail. Crack heads.

miserable that 70s show GIF

We have huge balls ....... It was about time!!

Go Buffalo!!!!

" GO BILLS "

I wasn't sure who the Bills would draft with the 4th pick in the draft. Kalill Mack, Mike Evans, Sammy Watkins or who? Don't ask me why b/c I really thought Mack would be the pick but after 53 first round drafts picks in which I had been wrong, the Bills picked my favorite before Mack and that was Watkins. When I heard the call by the commissioner I had tears in my eyes! It was the 1st time in all those years that they actually picked my player. I was as happy as a pic in slop! To make it even better, the Bills pick my second favorite in Cyrus Kouandjio OT with the 44th pick after the trade down with the Rams! I'm a happy camper this draft!

B U F F A L O

R O A M' E R

10-6 in 2016 PLAYOFF BOUND ?

Never, ever take lesser talent over better talent because of need.

Just say "NO!" to projects in the first round

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nfl/buffalo/billspics.html

Yeah that's what cracks me up. Every analysts said he will be a stud. Yet when the Bills picked him same analysts claimed it was terrible because WR's taken in the top 10 usually fail. Crack heads.

Exactly, it's the opposite. Drafting high is pretty much the only way to get an elite receiver. Calvin, Larry, Andre Johnson, AJ Green, Julio Jones, all went in the top six.

That's why I'm in favour of giving up the first round pick. If the Bills are even half-decent this year, they won't be in a spot to get a surefire receiver. It's a priority nowadays so, instead of fielding a team of #2 receivers, you do whatever you can to get the guy you need.

I wasn't sure who the Bills would draft with the 4th pick in the draft. Kalill Mack' date=' Mike Evans, Sammy Watkins or who? Don't ask me why b/c I really thought Mack would be the pick but after 53 first round drafts picks in which I had been wrong, the Bills picked my favorite before Mack and that was Watkins. When I heard the call by the commissioner I had tears in my eyes! It was the 1st time in all those years that they actually picked my player. I was as happy as a pic in slop! To make it even better, the Bills pick my second favorite in Cyrus Kouandjio OT with the 44th pick after the trade down with the Rams! I'm a happy camper this draft![/quote']

He's the player I wanted all year. Mack would of been a nice choice to but it's been Sammy for a year for me. I never felt that anybody but Sammy was our target and no not even Clowney as many had thought as of our target.

" GO BILLS "

I believe the Bills took Watkins b/c they felt they had their "go-up-and-get-it" WR in Williams and felt by trading Stevie Johnson they could secure back their 4th round pick they gave up to Cleveland! They have Robert Woods and Goodwin to go with Watkins covering all the receiver positions they would need at one time. Yes, they gave up their 1st rounder next year but don't forget they were willing to go all the way to the Houston's number one pick for the same player. With going up to the 4th pick in the draft they moved from a team (Bufalo) finishing 6-10 to where the team (Cleveland) picks with a 4-12 season.

I'm convinced the Bills will be picking somewhere in the middle of the pack next year with the improvements this off season! The general perception with Buffalo giving up their #1 pick is that they would be picking somewhere in the 1 to 10 spot in the 2015 draft. Personally I don't believe that! I think it will prove to be a great move and think the Bills will find first round talent with the 2nd round pick next year like they did this year with RT, Kouandjio!

I believe Whaley and staff did an outstanding job of drafting the players needed for the Bills to take the next step and leap towards the playoffs for the first time in 14 years. Whaley did what he had to do to bring excitement back to the fans in Buffalo!

Remember when Atlanta moved up to draft Julio Jones? They gave up a 1st, 2nd, and (2)-4th rounders to get him.

B U F F A L O

R O A M' E R

10-6 in 2016 PLAYOFF BOUND ?

Never, ever take lesser talent over better talent because of need.

Just say "NO!" to projects in the first round

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nfl/buffalo/billspics.html