Sign in to follow this  
LiterateStylish

Dareus has changed the Jaguars defense

From Bottom 5 to Top 5.

One area where they have not ranked well is in run defense. Football Outsiders ranks them No. 27, and they are No. 29 in the NFL giving up 4.5 yards per carry. However, it has been a tail of two halves when it comes to the Jaguars run defense. The Jaguars were atrocious against the run to start the season, but their trade for Marcell Dareus during their bye week has been the difference. In seven games since their bye week, the Jaguars are giving up 3.85 yards per carry, and 3.6 yards per carry by running backs.

I recently say down with Ryan Day, site manager at Big Cat Country to get his thoughts on the Jaguars run defense. Here’s what he had to say.

The Jaguars were awful at stopping the run in the first half of the season. Big runs were a big reason we lost to the New York Jets and Los Angeles Rams. I applaud this team and front office for being humble enough to admit where they sucked and proactive enough to do something about it -- and how we landed Marcell Dareus for a Day 3 pick is beyond me. But we did and it's just one in a long line of lucky breaks and fortunate bounces this team has had go their way in 2017.

In the first half of the season, we just didn't have a run-stuffing defensive tackle. It was as easy as that. Abry Jones is a good player, but he's no replacement for Roy Miller who we let go in free agency this year. Roy wasn't a very versatile player, but when you wanted to stop the run he would stop the damn run. We tried to make it work and we couldn't. Teams just ran all over us and it was forcing us to cheat our secondary up a bit -- not a recipe for success with cornerbacks and safeties whose big strengths are defending the pass. It was obvious that we could sneak into the playoffs without a good run-stopper, but we weren't going to go very deep if we didn't have that. I think Dareus is going to be a huge factor in the Jaguars' playoff run this year.

https://www.ninersnation.com/2017/12/22/16809844/49ers-jaguars-preview-week-16-marcell-dareus-run-defense

96769446_10102201393347587_5716922665810264064_n.jpg

Why was Dareus such a non factor for the Bills? Seriously, the guy made no impact this year in Buffalo.

Yes, he did.

Bills went from a top 10 rush defense, to bottom 10, once he left.

Yes, he did.

Bills went from a top 10 rush defense, to bottom 10, once he left.

Wasn't he in a rotation where he really wasn't on the field much?

Fuck him. He never wanted to be here. Took a page out of Lynch’s and Gilmore’s book: be “hurt” all the time, try only in “big” games, and act a thug and then you’ll be rewarded by going somewhere else.

miserable that 70s show GIF

lol I just posted this in the pass rush thread before seeing this one. I stand by it...

dareus is still a head-scratcher. he played 38 snaps (58%) on D and had one tackle. no pressures. nothing else. I guess the stats dont pick up things like double teams that get other guys tackles but still.... dude is getting a fuck ton of money for one tkl per game.

He really is Albert Haynesworth 2.0

lol

ECQKgbmW4AAkI5n.jpg:large

lol I just posted this in the pass rush thread before seeing this one. I stand by it...

Exactly. You just made my case for me. Many thanks.

Wasn't he in a rotation where he really wasn't on the field much?

He averaged about 45 to 50% of the snaps if I remember correctly.

Which is normal for a DT.

He only got to those %s with the jags. Here are his snap counts:

59%

26%

31%

0% (injured)

33%

0% (injured)

57%

TRADED

31%

38%

44%

52%

43%

53%

60%

58%

I agree that both teams fortunes against the run changed with the trade but correlation is not causation. I am starting come to agree with Lit that he did change the Jags run D because his snap count is up where it belongs even if the stats (15 tackles, 0 sacks) are pretty ordinary (especially for $16MM or whatever). but he just didnt play enough for the bills to have made that much of a difference to them.

lol

59%

26%

31%

0%

33%

0%

57%

TRADED

31%

38%

44%

52%

43%

53%

60%

58%

59+26+31+33+57 = 206

206 / 5 = 41%

He is averaging 47% in Jax.

Unless you're counting injured games, which would be idiotic lol

I am starting come to agree with Lit that he did change the Jags run D

Yup.

the stats (15 tackles, 0 sacks) are pretty ordinary (especially for $16MM or whatever)

No...

No one with half a football brain looks at tackles to evaluate a DT.

The best DT's are going to have very low tackle counts because they are taking on double teams and allowing other players to penetrate.

Ndamukong Suh was a 1st team All-Pro in 2010, 2011, 2013 and 2014.

His tackle stats those years were 26, 25, 36, and 44.

Aaron Donald has been 1st team All-Pro for 2015 and 2016 (and likely 2017 as well).

His tackle stats those years are 43, 35 and 32.

So um, yeah.

Looking at tackles for a DT is retarded.

but he just didnt play enough for the bills to have made that much of a difference to them.

He averaged 41%.

That is more than enough.

Especially if the 41% were taking place on mostly run downs.

59+26+31+33+57 = 206

206 / 5 = 41%

He is averaging 47% in Jax.

Unless you're counting injured games, which would be idiotic lol

Yup.

No...

No one with half a football brain looks at tackles to evaluate a DT.

The best DT's are going to have very low tackle counts because they are taking on double teams and allowing other players to penetrate.

Ndamukong Suh was a 1st team All-Pro in 2010, 2011, 2013 and 2014.

His tackle stats those years were 26, 25, 36, and 44.

Aaron Donald has been 1st team All-Pro for 2015 and 2016 (and likely 2017 as well).

His tackle stats those years are 43, 35 and 32.

So um, yeah.

Looking at tackles for a DT is retarded.

He averaged 41%.

That is more than enough.

Especially if the 41% were taking place on mostly run downs.

Ok, I agree especially since I hated the trade. Still, even though he is underperforming his career stats and his contract that trade was football malpractice.

lol

No way was Dareus worth the money Buffalo was paying him. Our record would be no better if he stuck around. I wonder when he'll be suspended next? Good riddance.

59%

26%

31%

0% (injured)

33%

0% (injured)

57%

TRADED

31%

38%

44%

52%

43%

53%

60%

58%

I agree that both teams fortunes against the run changed with the trade but correlation is not causation. I am starting come to agree with Lit that he did change the Jags run D because his snap count is up where it belongs even if the stats (15 tackles, 0 sacks) are pretty ordinary (especially for $16MM or whatever). but he just didnt play enough for the bills to have made that much of a difference to them.

So he was on the field 59% for the opener. Then he seemed to be in the dog house until the week before he was traded. That might have been because, they wanted to showcase him, like they showcase Sammy in the pre-season game before he was traded. The three healthy games in-between he played 30%

Ed Oliver is my adopt-a-Bill

Especially if the 41% were taking place on mostly run downs

This, is all you really needed to say, thank you, someone who actually gets it. For a change I can be concise! :)

Further, his tackle or ANY stats don't tell the whole story. The blockers required for him, including possible double teams at times, are a large part of what the large man was about. People who only look at numbers and who dont watch/pay attention to/really understand the game are not going to understand why our defense self-destructed after we lost him.

"I don't think I'm easy to talk about. I've got a very irregular head. And I'm not anything that you think I am anyway".

-Syd Barrett, founder of Pink Floyd. Rolling Stone, December 1971

https://oathkeepers.org/about/

Europa: The last Battle is possibly the most useful documentary in existence in terms of understanding how society came to be like it currently is: https://search.bitchute.com/renderer?use=bitchute-json&name=Search&login=bcadmin&key=7ea2d72b62aa4f762cc5a348ef6642b8&query=Europa+The+Last+Battle

https://nativeamericanchurches.org/

My Adopt A Bill is Stefon Diggs

My 2nd Adopt A Bill is Christian Wade(he gets an exemption and doesn't require a spot) :)

Lit, I'm starting to get why you were like you were. Many of these people are like ignorant children who need to be beaten in order to improve, and you were like a parent before the absentee parent, Admin, adopted them and caused the board to decline in quality once he decided to pull an absentee parent stlyle on here. I wish that asshat would sell the board back to you, or anyone who is actually involved with it.

The staff here are mostly USELESS, and the general decent behavior of people here of their own volition(minus a handful of miscreants), is the only thing keeping this board semi-tolerable. Lit, please pass this message on to this "Admin" guy. The absolute worthlessness of the zstaff now is pathetic. I wish he'd at least make you staff again, so that someone would be on board who actually would listen to listen to requests for mod help. I mean you got ****ing one mod who is PERPETUALLY HIGH on schedule 1 substances, and another who is MEXICAN. What kind of motivation do you expect out of that duo?!??!?

"I don't think I'm easy to talk about. I've got a very irregular head. And I'm not anything that you think I am anyway".

Europa: The last Battle is possibly the most useful documentary in existence in terms of understanding how society came to be like it currently is: https://search.bitchute.com/renderer?use=bitchute-json&name=Search&login=bcadmin&key=7ea2d72b62aa4f762cc5a348ef6642b8&query=Europa+The+Last+Battle

My 2nd Adopt A Bill is Christian Wade(he gets an exemption and doesn't require a spot) :)

By far the most frustrating aspect of the Bills season. Dareus was my favorite player.

The sad part is that he had already made enough horrible moves before this, that I'd wanted him gone many weeks earlier. This was just the icing on the cake.

The first line in this video(about 3 seconds long) is in response to the bolded part of your post.

https://youtu.be/Ul6hrHCaX-k?t=2m3s

The sad part is that he had already made enough horrible moves before this, that I'd wanted him gone many weeks earlier. This was just the icing on the cake.

The first line in this video(about 3 seconds long) is in response to the bolded part of your post.

https://youtu.be/Ul6hrHCaX-k?t=2m3s

Haha. Nice.

I was on the sideline before the Titans game in Nashville a couple years ago. I walked over near the end-zone and Dareus was warming up. The guy was sweating bullets and had the look of a mad man in his eyes. I said to him: "You are a bad ass mother f***er." He maniacally looked at me and said: "DAMN RIGHT."

After that, I couldn't imagine how terrifying it would be to line up against him. I would take him half-hearted over anybody we have on the roster right now, and I would pay him as a superstar. I think Jacksonville realizes this.

billieve.jpg

Haha. Nice.

I was on the sideline before the Titans game in Nashville a couple years ago. I walked over near the end-zone and Dareus was warming up. The guy was sweating bullets and had the look of a mad man in his eyes. I said to him: "You are a bad ass mother f***er." He maniacally looked at me and said: "DAMN RIGHT."

After that, I couldn't imagine how terrifying it would be to line up against him. I would take him half-hearted over anybody we have on the roster right now, and I would pay him as a superstar. I think Jacksonville realizes this.

I laughed out loud when I read that, that was awesome! It's a shame some of the clowns on here have no idea what you're talking about.

Dont feel badly though, they rarely have any idea what I'm talking about either.

So what have we learned over the past few years?

Never give large amounts of money to big chubby guys. Dareus was on the verge of becoming Haynesworth 2.0. And let's see what happens once the novelty wears off in Jacksonville. Perhaps he'll continue to be a game-changer, perhaps not.

"I am alarmed at the subtle invasion of professional football, which is gaining preeminence over baseball. It's unthinkable."

- Branch Rickey (August 20, 1959)

"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit. The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

- Marcus Aurelius