461150603.jpg

Cyrus Kouandjio (OT)

HT: 6'7" WT: 322LBS.

POSITION: OT

SCHOOL: Alabama

ARM LENGTH: 35 5/8"

HANDS: 10 1/4"

Overview

Last name is pronounced "KWON-joe." Parade All-American and elite recruit out of Maryland's DeMatha Catholic. Was a reserve as a true freshman in 2011 when he appeared in eight games before suffering a season-ending torn left ACL and MCL against Tennessee. Started all 26 games at left tackle 2012-13, and was slowed by injuries as a junior.

96769446_10102201393347587_5716922665810264064_n.jpg

Bills GM Doug Whaley noted that the team would likely plug Kouandjio in at right tackle. Whaley also emphasized that both he and the front office feel confident that Kouandjio is fully healthy entering the 2014 season.

Great pick if injuries don't slow him down.

Well you can look at it this way... If was highly recruited and he started on Bama's OL prior to being injured, you have to figure this is obviously coveted player. His college career was derailed (so i've read) by injury. Could happen to anyone and at any time in their career.

At that size, you have to be concerned about knee issues.

HOWEVER: you have an obviously talented player. And just as many people get a freak knee injury and recover as have chronically bad knees in this day and age. Needless to say, Dr. Andrews is a miracle worker who would not be well served by proclaiming a man is fixed when he is, in fact, NOT!

"In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military-industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists, and will persist."

- Dwight D. Eisenhower - 1.17.61

My Adopt A Bill is Josh Allen

18_allen.jpg

From what I'm reading has all the tools to be great. Needs a coach (hopefully Marrone) to get him there.

Ed Oliver is my adopt-a-Bill

Kouandjio was born in the African nation of Cameroon. His family moved to the United States when he was five-years old.

Kouandjio had the second longest arm length at the NFL combine among offensive linemen. His arms measured 35 5/8ths inches.

Your life is not a dress rehearsal.Do it right.

I called this pick in the 2nd round in my mock draft.

He has 1st round talent but slides to the 2nd round due to concerns about his knees. This is a huge steal for the Bills at this point and he is a plug and play OT. Although I believe he could play LT, the Bills are set there with Cordy Glenn so Kouandjio steps in at RT. He is an absolute mauler and destroys people at the point of attack, he has had trouble with athletic speed rushers especially at the the BCS championship game versus Oklahoma's Eric Striker. IMO he can improve his pass pro versus athletic edge rushers with improvements on his balance and footwork with pro coaching and continued hard work. At 6'6/8, 322 pounds he has the prototype size and athletic ability of a RT. He will be a 21 year old rookie so he has a lot of good football ahead of him and will be a 10 year starter.

http://www.buffalorange.com/showthread.php?t=209221&highlight=junglesouljah+mock+draft

It's important to note the Dr.Andrews cleared his knees and so did the Bills medical staff on his visit to Buffalo pre draft. This is a huge addition for the Bills, they get a 1st round talent in the 2nd round. He is going to have a huge chip on his shoulder for being passed over and be highly motivated. The Bills get a huge upgrade at the RT position from last year. When he was younger he played soccer so he has very good feet for a big OL. I'm very excited with the pick the Bills have bookend OT's and will help open up holes for Spiller and Jackson and keep Manuel upright and clean.

L*t is a loser

My adapt a Bill is Brandon Beane.

1065198188.jpg.0.jpg

id read that other than footwork he could be a LT also. but the footwork wasnt there

Adopt a Bill

11594018.jpg

Thurman fell to us in the 2nd because of a bad knee too.

Great value picking up Kouandjio in the 2nd. Reminds me alot like when we got Glenn a few years back in the 2nd. Both are massive tackles and hopefully Kouandjio plays like Glenn.

spacer.png[duchene_1_2_3.jpg

I don't tip I pay bills bitches call me Buffalo

He's gonna make us a better team.

Great picks so far.

Now Schwartz needs some toys.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I missed the second round. (putting kids to bed). Did the Bills trade down? What did they get as compensation?

I missed the second round. (putting kids to bed). Did the Bills trade down? What did they get as compensation?

Picked up a 5th rounder. If someone had told me we'd trade down in the 2nd and then draft this kid, I wouldn't have believed it. He had some rough spots, but we have an OL coach for a HC. He's gonna play the RT spot and could be really good. Andrews cleared his knee so that's good. I heard him on Sirius and when they asked him about his knee he said he was fine and that despite his "injury" he never even missed a single practice for the Tide.

Dr. James Andrews says no issues with Cyrus Kouandjio's knee

Play Franchise Football - the ultimate pro football simulation game - now with the 2014 draft class!

Jason La Canfora

CBS Sports NFL Insider

Dr. James Andrews says no issues with Cyrus Kouandjio's knee

March 6, 2014 2:48 pm ET

Cyrus Kouandjio had a poor showing at the combine, leading to reports he had failed physicals. (Getty) The Cardinals have secured the services of Chris Carpenter for a long time. (Getty Images)

More NFL offseason: Mock Drafts | Prospect Rankings | Pro Days | Top free agents

Dr. James Andrews is sending a medical update to every NFL team to clear up what he calls misinformation about the health of Alabama tackle Cyrus Kouandjio.

A report during the NFL combine indicated that Kouandjio, a potential first-round pick, had failed several physicals in Indianapolis as a result of a "failed" surgery on his knee in college.

Andrews, who did not perform Kouandjio's surgery, dismissed the notion that the surgery was botched and has continued to evaluate the player regularly as he continues his training for Alabama's pro day (Andrews works closely with the Alabama program and has been abreast of the tackle's knee since he arrived on campus).

Kouandjio's performance at the combine was poor -- something he has acknowledged to those close to him and that he is aiming to overcome as he works out for teams in the future. But the tackle's showing was unrelated to his knee, according to Andrews as well as Alabama team doctor Lyle Cain, who performed the surgery. Both doctors stated that since completing his rehab for the ACL/MCL surgery in his freshman year there have been no setbacks, no issues with swelling and that Kouandjio not only played in every game but did not miss a single practice and did not have to spend time in the training room for additional treatment since being cleared to return to practice in the spring of 2012.

During the combine NFL Network reported that the junior was failing physicals and referred to the surgery and the status of his knee subsequent to it as "ugly."

"I wrote a letter to send to every team about his true medical history," Andrews told CBSSports.com. "I'm trying to put out fires that aren't even justified and to clear the record, I guess, is the best way to put it. It came out he had a failed ACL surgery -- that's not even close to the truth. His performance at the combine had nothing to do with his knee situation, and that was blown way out of proportion and that's not fair to the kid.

"First of all, at the combine, there are 36 independent doctors and trainers making their own conclusions in a numerical system about how they rate each player relative to their previous injuries and concerns. There is no way in the world someone could say Cyrus failed the physical. He has some wear patterns on the knee that are consistent with someone who is that big, and who plays that position and who had the procedure Cyrus underwent. That surgical procedure was anything but a failure. I examined him again this week after he was working out and he's able to do all the work outs and everything since the bowl game and he's had no trouble with his knee."

Andrews said the "wear patterns" on the knee are similar to what was shown on X-rays of Kouandjio's knee upon his arrival at Alabama, even before the surgery performed in his freshman year.

"He has pretty much the same wear patterns he had the whole time at Alabama," Andrews said. "This is now his junior year, and there hasn't been any changes with his knee. He had a fresh injury to the ACL and MCL as a freshman and that had to be operated on, and that surgery has been perfectly fine and played two years at Alabama, every game and every practice with no problems whatsoever.

"These types of patterns are real common on those big guys, real common. We see it out of high school, already, with all the lifting and impact work they do. It's unfortunate, but that's what's happening out there and this kid really had no trouble with it the whole time he was at Alabama."

Cain said he was "shocked" by the NFL Network report, and, when he first heard of it, was immediately fearful because he assumed Kouandjio must have suffered a new injury to his knee while working out in Indianapolis. Obviously, that was not the case, and while some teams have some apprehension about the potential for arthritic conditions to eventually set in on the tackle, which can lead to a lower grade on the scale of 1-5 that teams apply to prospects at the combine, Cain said that no teams "failed" Kouandjio and would have no reason to.

"He hasn't had any problems with his knee," Cain said. "And from a functional standpoint, all the people there and who have seen Cyrus play -- although he may not have had the workout there at the combine he hoped to have -- it's not a knee issue. He really hasn't had any treatment on it, because there haven't been any issues.

"He has a little bit of cartilage wear in his knee, but that's such a common finding in an NFL draft-able player, it's really a non-story, but with him having not an optimal workout I guess that's why this misinformation is out there. He tore it in the fall of his freshman year -- the fall of 2011 -- and by the spring of 2012 he was cleared for spring practice and pretty well completely functional and we really haven't had a problem or a diagnostic issue since 2012. It's been almost two years.

"He's had no swelling, no pain, and if you talk to Cyrus he'll tell you he feels better than he has in two or three years. He's never had to have his knee drained. He's never had to have treatment. He's really been asymptomatic."

Kouandjio was projected as a first-round pick prior to his combine showing, and, given his performance at Alabama against big-time competition and his combination of size (6-foot-6, 311 pounds), his stock could still rise between now and the draft based on his meetings and workouts. Several teams have a glaring need at his position, and the run on tackles will start early, led by Auburn's Greg Robinson, who had an outstanding showing at the combine.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24470778/dr-james-andrews-says-no-issues-with-cyrus-kouandjios-knee

L*t is a loser

1065198188.jpg.0.jpg

“It was fun, me and him were on the same wavelength,” said Kouandjio of Fluker. “To be a tackle, you have to be a different cat. You can’t lose at all. So you have to have some type of mentality, something different about you for you to win every single rep. Because you could get five pancakes in a game, and if he [the D-lineman you’re lined up against] gets one sack on you, then he’s the hero of the night. You have to win every rep. And Fluker’s mentality, it lines up with that. You’ve got to be ruthless. I loved him. I loved it.”

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2014/05/09/kouandjio-is-tight-with-fluker/

That's a great attitude. After dropping further than he hoped this kid has even more motivation with what sounds like top notch work ethic. He played right tackle in high school and was recruited to Alabama, so that move shouldn't be a problem. Whaley even talked about his struggles against smaller rushers and said he won't face 190 pound rushers in the pros and big guys like Cyrus can struggle against undersized rushers.

Joe b asked Cyrus about playing soccer and whether or not that helped his footwork. It sounded like he hadn't really thought about it but said the footwork usually came easier to him versus the other guys. If they can coach him up like they did Glenn, he should be a solid upgrade, if not a very good player.

Terry Pegula talking about Rex Ryan

"This guy right here tells his realtor, 'Where does the most snow fall in the area? I want to live there.' How Buffalo is that?"

My favorite part of his post draft interview. He was talking about making it out of the first round and that it will motivate him. Then the Reporter asks "is that a warning out there to everyone out there in the leauge?" CK "Yes it is". Sounds like he has the attitude I like in an offensive lineman.

lol why am i not surprised

I agree with him. We got the top guy on the board in both the 1st and 2nd filling two of the biggest holes on the roster.

I love that these guys dominated in hs, were two of the most coveted recruits going into college, played in some of the biggest games at two of the biggest programs and have done nothing but stand out. Guys like this know how to win and will change the attitude of the franchise.

lol why am i not surprised

LOL, I'm just a crazy homer. BTW, Watkins is the best WR in the draft class and has game changing skills. Kouandijo has first round talent and was the 5th rated OT of this draft class. So the Bills filled 2 holes in the line up with starters that will make a huge impact this year.

L*t is a loser

1065198188.jpg.0.jpg

Draft day is the perfect time to he a homer.

I honestly can't think of two players I wanted more, that they had any shot at.

I also love how we got a better OT than the Fins did with their 1st round pick. It is Johnathan Martin/Cordy Glenn all over again.

Cordy Glen was such a steal its not even funny. I remember biting my nails at the start of the second round praying he wouldn't get taken ahead of us. When our pick came in, right before it was anounced i turned to my wife and said "Cordy Glen, Offensive Tackle, BUlldogs, WOOOO!!!" when the Bills then took him moments later t was one of the few times in my life where my wife actually thought i was smart.

"In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military-industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists, and will persist."

- Dwight D. Eisenhower - 1.17.61

My Adopt A Bill is Josh Allen

18_allen.jpg

This guy is a beast! How does one get around him with that wing span?

+1.

I'd think the way you combat that is to blitz up the middle - its the weak link in our line now. Force the QB to step into the blitz, because the DE isn't going around either Glenn or this guy.

<there used to be some sarcastic crap aimed at NYJunc here. >

birthdays and Christmas are just a liberal plot to redistribute wealth. Be a good Republican and refuse to participate.