JLB

BREAKING: Stevie Johnson traded to San Francisco

That's what I get for buying a #13 jersey....

Got mixed emotions on the whole subject. SJ was OK overall but seems like he had health issues in 2013 unless I'm not remembering right. Part of me feels like we should young up the roster a tad and it seems that's where it's headed but at the same time Manuel hasn't really blown anyone away. So what if we have the fastest receivers in the world or have the best hands, whatever, if our "franchise" QB can't stay healthy enough to utilize them? Don't get me wrong, I hope EJ's sophomore season is amazing but at this point I'm not gonna hold my breath. I like SJ but I think he's hit a wall here. Hope he has a lot of success in the new stadium. In the words of Robert Cray, "I'm lookin' for some new blood".

I am interested to hear their reasoning for this move.

I think the reasoning can be summed up by simply saying that he isn't that good. He's effective sometimes, but most of the time he catches 4 or 5 balls for 70 yards. Maybe a TD. In 2011, 2012, and 2013 he produced five 100 yard games and 16 TDs. We need a guy who can do that in 1 season.

I love Stevie, but I felt like he never lived up to his own hype. He was more of a Peerless Price - someone who does better when there is a true #1 receiver on the other side. I felt like he regressed last season with how he dropped passes he shouldn't and taking some dumb penalties.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

PET PHOTOGRAPHY | CATS | DOGS | SMALL ANIMALS | REPTILES

2015 Adopt-a-Bill is Rex Ryan!

Git-R-Done!

Stevie was good but in the long run he couldn't walk his talk. Too many dropped passes and that crucial fumble against Atlanta last season really proved he wasn't worth what he was getting paid. Elite receivers like what he tried to hype himself up to be don't make so many of those mistakes on game day. Buffalo made a wise move.

WR have a tendency to be jerks and Stevie was just another one on a long list. I'll take the 4th round pick and not have to put up with his senseless , foolish and self centered penalties. Yeah talent wise he is a good pickup for them otherwise not so good. Just not the type of character I care to have around I guess.

When the TE is split out, that's a 4 WR set.

Chandler never was split out, and we were talking about personnel and not needing Stevie. The most wr's on the field at a time last year was 3. Whaley seems to feel good about the top 4 wr's and didn't feel Stevie was worth the head ache or the money.

It certainly didn't help that Stevie always drew the toughest assignment. Throw him against a nickel back or safety and he can get open all day.

Again, tell me who else was on that team with Megatron in year one? Also, Megatron was nursing a hurt back coming out of college.... haters gonna hate man, haters gonna hate....

and people that want blinders can't keep them off their glasses.

Julio Jones, 54

AGJ, 65

Crabtree, 46

Do I need to go on?

Blackmon, 64

Austin, 40

Haywood Bey, 12

Megatron, 48

Ginn, 34

Braylon Edwards, 34

TWilliamson, 24

MWilliams, 26

Let's go to the YEAR OF THE RECEIVER 2004

Fitz, 58

RoyWilliams, 54 (and as a little tickle, Mike Williams the next year was supposed to make Roy so much better. Bahwahwahah)

RegWilliams, 27

And of course

Andre the Giant snagged 66

Charles Rogers, 22

And you gonna give us some shit about how its going to expand the field, or make it better for some body else on the field to do better? Unless Watkins is the second coming of a 6-4", 45" jumping 4.35 running WR named AJG or Megatron, not one of those guys did shit for the team. And even with Megatron, the team regressed all the way down to 0-16 in his second year. By Julio Jones' third year, they were down to 4-12 - mostly because the team got old on account of the Falcons trading a stack of picks to get him.

There's your Tier One, Franchise WRs. Andre, Megatron, AJG, Fitzgerald. What is consistent about them? They are taller, faster, larger than Sammy Watkins - meaning that they've always had a significant advantage when it comes to getting off the line of scrimmage. And you are bringing in a guy who's bread and butter is the bubble screen.

Its possible that you'll get their level of production out of Sammy Watkins - which is roughly 55 catches and 800 yards of offense. But you traded away a guy that delivered 80 balls and 1000 yards of offense.

Hey, I'm with the GM. Love his enthusiasm. Truth is in the numbers, not in the hopium you and people like you want to spread around here about some shit like "spread the defense" and "game plan for Watkins". Teams have game planned for better, bigger, faster, higher jumping WRs that have been drafted high just like Sammy Watkins for the last 10 years. None of them spread the defense so much that it made a difference in the productivity of others.

<there used to be some sarcastic crap aimed at NYJunc here. >

birthdays and Christmas are just a liberal plot to redistribute wealth. Be a good Republican and refuse to participate.

Well, any time you can trade a productive wide receiver in his physical prime for a pick near the end of the fourth round of a future draft, you've just gotta jump at that chance!

I don't see the Bills running exclusively 4 WR sets on offense, and since they are not running that offense it doesn't make sense to keep Stevie who would be the #4 WR on the bills IMO.

Even if I accepted that Johnson would have been the #4 wideout this year behind a rookie and a 2nd year player (and I don't), you forget we have these things called injuries. Last year we lost our top 3 wideouts to injuries at various points.

I recognize you love the move because there's never been a Bills mid round pick you haven't hyped to death, but there was no reason whatsoever to do this. It makes us worse in 2014 for a pathetic return. If we had somehow pulled a high pick out of it (San Francisco had TEN picks available this year ffs, we couldn't even get one of them?)

I remember when the board was saying how Stevie was a borderline #1, and how well he would do as a #2 to a stud, bonafide #1 WR on our team.

So of course, once we get that #1, we ship Stevie off for a 4th round pick.

Of course we did. The Bills are hostile to the very concept of veteran depth.

xfnjfd.jpg

Mamas don't let your babies grow up to be Bills fans

Well, any time you can trade a productive wide receiver in his physical prime for a pick near the end of the fourth round of a future draft, you've just gotta jump at that chance!

Even if I accepted that Johnson would have been the #4 wideout this year behind a rookie and a 2nd year player (and I don't), you forget we have these things called injuries. Last year we lost our top 3 wideouts to injuries at various points.

I recognize you love the move because there's never been a Bills mid round pick you haven't hyped to death, but there was no reason whatsoever to do this. It makes us worse in 2014 for a pathetic return. If we had somehow pulled a high pick out of it (San Francisco had TEN picks available this year ffs, we couldn't even get one of them?)

Of course we did. The Bills are hostile to the very concept of veteran depth.

I liked what Stevie did at times on the Bills especially in Chan Gailey's spread offense when Fitzy was feeding him the ball, in that offense he was the Bills best WR. But today he is no longer the Bills best WR. In fact he is the #4 WR, and there is better value in trading him and getting some compensation than having him sit on the bench and be a headache for the coaching staff and be a cancer. He has always been a diva and that doesn't change with him going to San Fran, now he is there problem.

He would demand the ball or be a distraction and take away ball from Watkins, Woods and Williams or be miserable and pout on the bench. The move tells me that the coaching staff and the scouting department were not happy with Stevie and his diva attitude.

As far as mid round picks go, both Graham and Goodwin are developmental WR's and need to work hard to continue developing. IMO Goodwin is further along and a more complete WR at this point and will be the #4 WR for the Bills. I think TJ Graham will battle M.Easley and K.Elliott for the #5 WR spot. Depth is always important but not at the cost of chemistry. That's why Stevie is no longer on the team.

Edited by junglesouljah

L*t is a loser

My adapt a Bill is Brandon Beane.

1065198188.jpg.0.jpg

I can't wait till Stevie goes up against (mediocre) Richard Sherman, and roast him, then go and toast Byrd (YAC). Then watch how well he'll do against Gilmore and Cockwell come SB. Ok i had to laff at that last one too. But MAYBE????

An absolutely bizarre trade for a team that wants to win now (which makes me wonder whether the Bills motto in the past actually was win in 3 years … but I digress).

I don't believe this team truly cares about "selfish" players when they trade for Mike Williams with off field issues, admit they have known for years that Marcell Dareus has a chronic synthetic marijuana addiction and they just drafted an OL in the 7th round who has an even worse addiction to marijuana. This has more to do with money and most likely someones ego being offended by something Stevie said in the locker room.

I have yet to see what makes Stevie Johnson a "selfish" player, when he committed the most selfless act by playing in an otherwise meaningless game after his mother suddenly passes, even when his character was questioned.

I certainly am not happy to see Stevie go but sometimes players just need a change of scenery. This may have been one of those situations, especially with Stevie's contract.

I certainly am not happy to see Stevie go but sometimes players just need a change of scenery. This may have been one of those situations, especially with Stevie's contract.

Spiller, Hughes, Spikes are all free agents next year, so extra cap money can be used to re up those players to long term deals. IMO, the priority is Spiller, than Hughes than Spikes.

L*t is a loser

1065198188.jpg.0.jpg

And THAT is what it comes down to.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Not that he would be 4th on the depth chart (laughable)

It was about his cap amount.

They are both factors, money is always a factor so is production for money being paid and character.

L*t is a loser

1065198188.jpg.0.jpg

They are both factors, money is always a factor so is production for money being paid and character.

character? You mean like Marcel Darius, right? Or that horseshit WR we brought in that got dropped by two organizations already? Or the 7th round pick that can't stop doing weed?

Yeah. Character. Whaley's all about character. Team doesn't give jackshit about character, who you kidding.

birthdays and Christmas are just a liberal plot to redistribute wealth. Be a good Republican and refuse to participate.

I'm not that upset about the move, for me it's about someone wanting to make the team there own. Turning over a new leaf if you will. Stevie was having problems with injuries and had to battle it the last couple of years. Time to move him while you still can salvage something for him. Good luck Stevie but the team is headed in a new direction.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

My Retired AAB is Kyle Williams...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

U.S.Navy, Retired 1986-2015

character? You mean like Marcel Darius, right? Or that horseshit WR we brought in that got dropped by two organizations already? Or the 7th round pick that can't stop doing weed?

Yeah. Character. Whaley's all about character. Team doesn't give jackshit about character, who you kidding.

Darius was late to 2 meeting and then got caught with fake weed. Darius is a good person, he has made a mistake, I expect him to learn from his mistake, he is not a bad person.

Stevie, would constantly get pentalties for exsesive celebrations, drop balls/fumble in key situations, and demand the ball like he was a superstar WR when he wasn't. He rubbed Whaley and Marrone the wrong way, and now he's gone because of that.

The 7th round is when you take very talented players with character risks or other red flags. It a low risk,high rewards situation. Whaley already addressed this in the post draft press conference by saying he is going to let Seantrel Henderson that he has one chance, that it, if he messes up he's gone. That the proper way to go about it, btw Henderson has 1st round talent. That's a good bet to make, if he fails you risk nothing, since 7th round pick hardly ever make the 53 man roster, if he cleans up his act the Bills get a 1st round talent in the 7th round.

L*t is a loser

1065198188.jpg.0.jpg

... He rubbed Whaley and Marrone the wrong way, and now he's gone because of that.

This. Everything else is just smoke and mirrors (with the possible exception of money, but "cap saving" doesn't seem to have a net impact here).

Call a spade a spade. He wouldn't shuffle to your music. But that sort of stuff gets a very short leash in a locker room, especially if the guy was considered a leader. Maybe Steve isn't or never was, but I seem to recall a lot of WRs saying how much they respected Johnson a/o how SJ11 helped them learn the game.

But all the crap about character is bullshit. Steve left his heart on the field, sold himself out to make plays even when this organization blew chunks, played through injury against the best corners in football, stuck it out when his mom died, overcame a broken back. Did he make each and every play? No. Drop a ball here and there? Yes. You know who did a lot of that too? Wesley Walker.

For three years, he was one of the more productive WRs in football. You put a collection of the crappiest QBs on the field last year, refuse to throw the ball downfield, and afterwards drop the leading WR. OK. Time for a new broom, I get that. You have a management team that resigned Darius when they knew he had a drug problem. They traded away next years first round pick when they knew they might have a problem with the QB.

SJ had issues. I felt he could/should have been gone when he got caught on end zone celebrations in back to back games. That's simply disrespect. But I think you have brewing issues with management. They brought in a ton of talent (almost literally) on the offensive line, so I can't bark terribly since that's my thing. My eyes are open wide though.

Stevie, would constantly get pentalties for exsesive celebrations, drop balls/fumble in key situations, and demand the ball like he was a superstar WR when he wasn't. He rubbed Whaley and Marrone the wrong way, and now he's gone because of that.

Johnson has had one dead ball foul since 2011. It's not that Johnson failed to learn from his mistakes, it's that people won't let mistakes from 2010 go.

xfnjfd.jpg

Johnson has had one dead ball foul since 2011. It's not that Johnson failed to learn from his mistakes, it's that people won't let mistakes from 2010 go.

Is it not possible Stevie Johnson had a personality conflict with the coaching staff and the scouting department.

He has a history of drawing penalties for excessive celebration and getting fined by the league. You shouldn't have to worry a player costing you 15 yards after a TD because he wants show boat. There was always that problem with Stevie. Add his penchant for mistakes at key parts of the game, CBA of production for salary, being self centered/perceiving himself as the best WR on the roster, running option routes all the time and not being a predictable route runner for a young developing QB, and lagging groin injuries due to him not training properly in the off season, and the trade makes more sense.

L*t is a loser

1065198188.jpg.0.jpg

Yup. That Steve Johnson, presenting himself as the best receiver on the team. What an idiot. Anyone could tell he should have automatically taken a back seat to Robert Woods, second round pick. I mean, what had Steve done the previous three years.

Or a back seat to any of the other clowns this organization put out on to the field with him over the last three years. How dare he take a leadership role? Unconscionable.

How could a player be such a diva as to take a leadership role in helping develop other WRs, as Stevie's teammates (um, including Robert Woods) have said he did? Thank goodness we got rid of him, and not a minute too soon.

Is it not possible Stevie Johnson had a personality conflict with the coaching staff and the scouting department.

Of course it could have, but who gives a crap? If he produces on the field I don't care if they are going to each other's barbeques.

And FWIW, you know who has an actual, documented personality conflict with Marrone? Mike Williams. Remember how he left/was thrown off Syracuse's football team?

He has a history of drawing penalties for excessive celebration and getting fined by the league.

A history that ended two years ago. Go look up the last time he was flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct. I'll wait.

Add his penchant for mistakes at key parts of the game,

That's an argument to demote him down the depth chart, not to unload him entirely. And FWIW, Manuel, Bryce Brown, Leodis McKelvin, and TJ Graham have all made massive mistakes at the worst possible times as well, yet I don't see you clamoring to deal them.

CBA of production for salary,

I assume you mean Cost Benefit Analysis here. If we were going to strictly run a CBA on this team, how do you think Mario Williams would stack up? We've paid him over a million dollars a sack so far and his cap hit is $19 million for the next three seasons. There isn't a chance in hell Mario will live up to that deal on a dollar for dollar basis.

And if you want to play the Moneyball game, then you should in no way sign Spiller to a large extension, which is what you advocated doing with Johnson's savings.

being self centered/perceiving himself as the best WR on the roster,

He's had every reason to believe this so far. Outside of Terrell Owens, there hasn't been a better Bills WR sharing a locker room with him until Thursday, and then he was dealt on Friday.

running option routes all the time and not being a predictable route runner for a young developing QB

Are you suggesting he ran option routes when they weren't called? Based on what?

and lagging groin injuries due to him not training properly in the off season

Sure, I'll grant you that he had nagging injuries, but he often had to play through them because he was our only legitimate receiving threat. If he was our slot guy, the team could limit his snaps and maximize his effectiveness. Deal him next year if you want, he's still be 28, he'd have two affordable years left on his deal, and he'd help us in 2014. Something a 2015 draft pick will not do. As it stands now, we have no wideouts who have ever played the #1 role in the NFL. It's dumping an enormous amount of responsibility on Watkins from day one, and cannibalizes our veteran depth for no immediate benefit whatsoever.

xfnjfd.jpg